Efficient Heat Engine and Final Temperature Calculation

Then, use this result to substitute into the first equation and solve for W. In summary, the amount of work obtainable from a heat engine using two identical bodies of constant heat capacity at different temperatures is given by W = Cp(T1 + T2 - 2Tf), where Tf is the final temperature attained by both bodies. If the most efficient engine is used, then Tf^2 = T1T2.
danyull

Homework Statement

Two identical bodies of constant heat capacity ##C_p## at temperatures ##T_1## and ##T_2## respectively are used as reservoirs for a heat engine. If the bodies remain at constant pressure, show that the amount of work obtainable is ##W = C_p (T_1 + T_2 − 2T_f)##, where ##T_f## is the final temperature attained by both bodies. Show that if the most efficient engine is used, then ##T_f^2 = T_1T_2##

Homework Equations

My professor's hint: "If the most efficient engine is used, then $$\frac{dQ_1}{T_1}+\frac{dQ_2}{T_2}=0."$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to do the first part of the problem by using ##dW=dQ_h-dQ_l## and ##dQ=C_pdT.## I don't know where to start for the second part, and I don't understand how my professor's hint is supposed to be used. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrate your professor's hint and solve for Tf (upper limit).

What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts thermal energy into mechanical energy, which can then be used to perform work.

How does a heat engine work?

A heat engine works by taking in heat energy from a high temperature source, using it to do work, and then releasing the remaining heat energy to a lower temperature sink.

What is thermal efficiency?

Thermal efficiency is a measure of how well a heat engine converts thermal energy into mechanical energy. It is defined as the ratio of the work output to the heat input.

What factors affect the efficiency of a heat engine?

The efficiency of a heat engine is affected by factors such as the temperature difference between the high and low temperature sources, the type of working fluid used, and the design and construction of the engine.

How can the efficiency of a heat engine be improved?

The efficiency of a heat engine can be improved by increasing the temperature difference between the high and low temperature sources, using more efficient working fluids, and optimizing the design and construction of the engine.