Thermal efficiency of a heat engine

In summary: Thermal efficiency is defined as η = W/Q_h = 1 - \frac{Q_l}{Q_h} In summary, thermal efficiency is the amount of energy that is converted from heat into useful work.
Mangoes

Homework Statement

A possible ideal-gas cycle operates as follows:
(i) from an initial state (p1,V1), the gas is cooled at constant pressure to (p1,V2)
(ii) the gas is heated at constant volume to (p2,V2)
(iii) the gas expands adiabatically back to (p1,V1).
Assuming constant heat capacities, show that thermal efficiency is given by:

[tex] 1 - γ\frac{(V_1/V_2) - 1}{(p_2/p_1) - 1} [/tex]

2. Homework Equations

For adiabatic processes:
[tex] PV^γ = constant [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For a cyclic process, ΔU = 0, so denoting Q_h as heat coming in system and Q_l as heat leaving system,

[tex] W = Q_h - Q_l [/tex]

Thermal efficiency is defined as

[tex] η = W/Q_h = 1 - \frac{Q_l}{Q_h} [/tex]

(i) has heat flowing out of the system, (ii) has heat flowing in the system, (iii) is adiabatic so heat is zero.

For (i), p is constant and I assume ideal gas

[tex] W = -p(ΔV) = -nR(T_2 - T_1) [/tex]

[tex] ΔU = nC_VΔT [/tex]

By first law,

[tex] Q_l = nC_VΔT + nR(T_2 - T_1) = n(R + C_V)(T_2 - T_1) = nC_p(T_2 - T_1) [/tex]

For (ii) V is constant so work must be zero. That means change in internal energy is equal to heat gained,

[tex] Q_h = nC_V(T_3 - T_2) [/tex]

Here's where I'm getting stuck. If I stick this in into my definition of thermal efficiency,

[tex] η = 1 - \frac{C_p(T_2 - T_1)}{C_V(T_3 - T_2)} [/tex]

I'm aware that since (iii) is adiabatic, it is true that

[tex] T_3V^{γ-1}_2 = T_1V^{γ-1}_1 [/tex]

I've tried using the above to write an expression for T3 to eliminate it in my expression for thermal efficiency, but it ends up being a huge mess and I don't see how I can take out gamma from the exponent into a multiplying factor as is seen in the result I'm supposed to get to, leading me to think one of my steps is wrong. Would appreciate any help/insight in this.

EDIT: Fixed a step where I mixed U - W with W - U. Had a negative sign that didn't belong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mangoes said:
[tex] η = 1 - \frac{C_p(T_2 - T_1)}{C_V(T_3 - T_2)} [/tex]

Good so far. Don't forget the ideal gas law. :smile:

Well, my goal is pretty much getting from

[tex] \frac{T_2 - T_1}{T_3 - T_2} [/tex]

to

[tex] \frac{(V_1/V_2) - 1}{(P_2/P_1) - 1} [/tex]

Applying ideal gas law would make my expression in terms of different Δ(PV). I'm not sure if there's something obvious with the algebra I'm missing. I'm not really seeing how I can express T3 in terms of either the second or first state.

Mangoes said:
[tex] \frac{T_2 - T_1}{T_3 - T_2} [/tex]

Divide numerator and denominator by T2.

What is thermal efficiency of a heat engine?

The thermal efficiency of a heat engine is a measure of the amount of useful work it can produce compared to the amount of heat it consumes. It is represented by the ratio of the work output to the heat input, and is typically expressed as a percentage.

How is thermal efficiency of a heat engine calculated?

The thermal efficiency of a heat engine can be calculated using the formula: efficiency = (work output / heat input) x 100%. The work output is usually measured in joules, while the heat input is measured in joules or calories.

What factors affect the thermal efficiency of a heat engine?

The thermal efficiency of a heat engine is affected by several factors, including the type of engine, the temperature of the heat source, the temperature of the heat sink, and the materials used in the engine. Higher temperatures and efficient heat transfer between the source and sink can typically result in a higher thermal efficiency.

What is a Carnot engine and how does it relate to thermal efficiency?

A Carnot engine is an idealized heat engine that operates between two heat reservoirs at different temperatures and has the highest possible thermal efficiency for a given temperature difference. It serves as a standard for comparing the thermal efficiency of other heat engines.

Why is thermal efficiency important?

Thermal efficiency is important because it measures the effectiveness of a heat engine in converting heat energy into mechanical work. A higher thermal efficiency means less energy is wasted as heat, resulting in a more efficient and cost-effective engine. It also helps in designing and improving heat engines for various applications.