Efficiency of Two Carnot Engines in Series

In summary, the problem asks for the overall efficiency of two Carnot engines in series, with the first engine's heat exhaust driving the second. The equation used is efficiency = work/input heat. The solution presented shows that the overall efficiency is equal to 1 minus the ratio of the third heat output to the first heat input. The conversation discusses the possibility of achieving 100% efficiency by adding an infinite number of Carnot engines in series, but clarifies that the overall efficiency is still dependent on the temperature range between the highest and lowest temperatures involved. The final comment points out that the output heat from Engine One in series is not the same as the output heat when it runs alone.
Archduke

Homework Statement

There are two Carnot engines in series, so that the heat exhaust from the first engine drives the second. Find the overall efficiency of the arrangement which contains only the efficiences of the individual engines.

Homework Equations

[tex]\epsilon = \frac{W}{Q_{input}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, I thought this was really easy, but it just doesn't seem right.

[tex]\epsilon = \frac{W_{1}+W_{2}}{Q_{1}} = \frac{(Q_{1} - Q_{2}) + (Q_{2} - Q_{3})}{Q_{1}} = 1 - \frac{Q_{3}}{Q_{1}}[/tex]

But, surely that's saying that if you put two carnots in series that you get improved efficiency (As [tex]Q_{3} < Q_{2}[/tex]), so if you put an infinite amount of carnot engines in series, you'll be able to have a 100% efficient heat engine!

So, I've either cured the world's energy problems :rolleyes:, or I've messed up somewhere! Any hints as to where I've gone wrong? Thanks!

Attachments

• Carnot in Series.PNG
    Carnot in Series.PNG
    3.6 KB · Views: 2,281
Physics news on Phys.org
Archduke said:
[tex]\epsilon = \frac{W_{1}+W_{2}}{Q_{1}} = \frac{(Q_{1} - Q_{2}) + (Q_{2} - Q_{3})}{Q_{1}} = 1 - \frac{Q_{3}}{Q_{1}}[/tex]

But, surely that's saying that if you put two carnots in series that you get improved efficiency (As [tex]Q_{3} < Q_{2}[/tex]), so if you put an infinite amount of carnot engines in series, you'll be able to have a 100% efficient heat engine!
You have not made any error. The efficiency of a single Carnot heat engine operating between temperatures Th and Tc is 1-Qc/Qh = 1 - Tc/Th.

You have just shown that you get the same efficiency if you put two Carnot engines in series between these two temperatures, (or any number of Carnot engines between these temperatures). The overall efficiency depends only upon these temperatures (i.e the highest and lowest temperatures involved).

The Carnot efficiency approaches 100% as Th gets arbitrarily large or Tc gets arbitrarily close to 0. But I don't see why this raises a problem. It is the same whether there are one or a zillion Carnot engines operating over that temperature range.

AM

Oh, yes, of course! The output heat from Engine One running in series isn't the same as the output heat from the engine running alone. I see what I've done; thanks for clearing it up for me.

Related to Efficiency of Two Carnot Engines in Series

1. What is the efficiency of two Carnot engines in series?

The efficiency of two Carnot engines in series can be calculated by multiplying the individual efficiencies of each engine. This means that the overall efficiency will be lower than the efficiency of a single Carnot engine.

2. How does the efficiency of two Carnot engines in series compare to a single Carnot engine?

The efficiency of two Carnot engines in series will always be lower than the efficiency of a single Carnot engine. This is due to the fact that some energy is lost as heat in between the two engines.

3. What are the main factors that affect the efficiency of two Carnot engines in series?

The two main factors that affect the efficiency of two Carnot engines in series are the individual efficiencies of each engine and the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs of each engine.

4. Can the efficiency of two Carnot engines in series ever be 100%?

No, the efficiency of two Carnot engines in series can never be 100%. This is because some energy is always lost as heat in between the two engines, resulting in a lower overall efficiency.

5. How does the efficiency of two Carnot engines in series change if the temperature of the hot reservoir increases?

If the temperature of the hot reservoir increases, the overall efficiency of two Carnot engines in series will also increase. This is because a higher temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs leads to a higher efficiency for each individual engine. However, the overall efficiency will still be less than the efficiency of a single Carnot engine.