Efficiency of Energy Transfer in Swimming: Wall Kicking vs. Water Kicking

• Thread starter dibilo
  • Start date
dibilo
Homework Statement
When a swimmer kicks the wall at the end of a swimming pool, he tends to travel further than those who does not kick the wall but applied the same amount of force kicking in water. Why?
Relevant Equations
Sorry really have no idea
This isn't a homework but a discussion between my buddy and me. My hypothesis is that when I kicked against the wall, there is more efficiency in energy transfer, CPE --> KE than when I kick in water.

His idea is that when kicking the wall, it is a more inelastic collision and when kicking in water, it is a more elastic one.

May I know whose idea is correct or are we both correct or are we both wrong?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither, though arguably your view is closer.
Think about where the energy goes in the two cases.

dibilo said:
His idea is that when kicking the wall, it is a more inelastic collision and when kicking in water, it is a more elastic one.
When you push off the wall (not kick off the wall) and streamline correctly, you are moving faster through the water than you can swim, at least for a few meters. That is why you stay in the streamlined position for a few moments until your speed comes down to where it is equal to what you can maintain with your strokes.

1697461118055.png

https://blog.myswimpro.com/2022/11/22/how-to-push-off-the-wall-in-swimming-5-mistakes-to-avoid/

Likes Lnewqban
The wall is a solid support and the leg muscles used are the same that allow us to squat.
The water offers a drag resistance to the movement of the feet and lower legs, which is proportional to the square of the velocity of those respect to the water.
We could say that the mass of water surrounding your feet and legs is a support that moves away as you try to push on it, but that it moves less and supports more the faster you can push it.

Using the proper technique, the feet and legs try to quickly push aft as much mass of water as possible.
In that process, any lateral and forward movements only induce turbulence, which wastes muscular energy.

Related to Efficiency of Energy Transfer in Swimming: Wall Kicking vs. Water Kicking

1. What is the difference between wall kicking and water kicking in swimming?

Wall kicking refers to the technique of pushing off the wall with one's feet during a swimming race, while water kicking refers to the use of the legs to propel oneself through the water. Wall kicking is typically used during turns and starts, while water kicking is used during the actual swimming portion of a race.

2. Which method is more efficient for energy transfer in swimming?

Studies have shown that water kicking is more efficient for energy transfer in swimming. This is because the force generated by pushing off the wall during wall kicking is quickly dissipated, whereas the force generated by water kicking is sustained throughout the entire stroke.

3. How does the body position affect the efficiency of energy transfer during wall kicking and water kicking?

The body position is crucial for both wall kicking and water kicking. During wall kicking, it is important to have a streamlined body position to reduce drag and maximize the force generated. For water kicking, the body position should be slightly angled downwards to allow for a more powerful kick.

4. Are there any specific muscle groups used more during wall kicking or water kicking?

Both wall kicking and water kicking utilize the muscles in the legs, particularly the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes. However, water kicking also requires the use of the core muscles to maintain a stable body position and generate power from the hips.

5. Can the efficiency of energy transfer be improved through training?

Yes, the efficiency of energy transfer can be improved through proper training and technique. This includes practicing proper body position, developing strong leg muscles, and improving coordination between the arms and legs during the swimming stroke. A swimmer can also work on their starts and turns to improve their wall kicking technique.