Work on a Football: Energy Transfer and Distance

In summary, we discussed work in various scenarios such as kicking a football, lifting a book, and skiing down a mountain. We clarified that work is done against friction and air resistance, and that energy can be transferred between objects in the same form. However, some energy is lost in the process, such as converting to heat energy. In terms of walking/running, while no work is accomplished in terms of changing the mass's energy, work is still done against friction and air resistance.
Peter G.
I have some doubts concerning work, here are some examples I wanted to clear out:

So, when I kick a football, I am doing work on it. In this example the ball will be in contact with the ground throughout. It will slide over the floor.

The Energy Transfer: Chemical Energy from my muscles to Kinetic Energy of the ball.

And the distance through which the force is applied: Will be only the very short moment that my foot is in contact with the ball?

But what is the force against the work being done here? Friction at the moment of contact and application of force? And that would also be for a split second right? Because as the ball continued to roll it would still experience friction but no work is being done on it anymore. And can air resistance also be considered a counter acting force?

Now, I know how lifting a book works but I was wondering. What if I kick a ball upwards? Again, I’m assuming the force and the distance application is only during the moment of contact but my doubt is: In order to do work against gravity, am I doing work on the ball? Or did I do work on it, granting the ball Kinetic Energy and the football used its Kinetic Energy to do work against gravity?

And finally, can energy be transferred to different objects but in the same form? For example, when we ski down a mountain the skis deplete snow to the side. We posses kinetic energy and it is used to push the snow over a distance, giving it movement energy, or when we are playing pool and one ball hits the other, kinetic energy to kinetic energy again?

Sorry for the long text and I hope I made my doubts clear.

Thanks in advance,
PeterG

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
But what is the force against the work being done here? friction at the moment of contact and application of force? And that would also be for a split second right?
All true, but this misses the main effect of accelerating the ball.
F=ma. F pushes on the ball causing a; the ball pushes back on the foot with an equal and opposite force.

do work on it, granting the ball Kinetic Energy and the football used its Kinetic Energy to do work against gravity?
Yes to this! Same story with the F = ma.

Yes to the kinetic energy transfer from one object to another.

Ok cool! Thanks again.

And one last thing. During the energy transfers, some energy is lost during the process right?

I thought of two examples to check my understanding:

When we use the energy in food to give Kinetic Energy to a cart as we push it, some energy is lost as heat as energy is released from food.

Or when we are playing pool and one ball hits another. The ball with kinetic energy uses its mechanical energy to do work on the other pool ball but upon contact energy is lost in the form of sound and probably heat.

Thanks,
Peter G

Yes. Some would say energy is "converted to heat energy" rather than saying it is "lost".

Ok, thanks Delphi

Sorry, I just couldn't get this out of my mind. I'm used to these common examples in books but I just wanted to clear out this last one, I promise :blushing:

So, when we walk/run, do we do work too? Like against the force of friction and air resistance?

Measuring the distance is easy and we could also find the force using F = ma, but the F is the resultant force so we would need the air resistance to discover the force my legs were exerting I think.

Thanks!

Last edited:
These questions are tricky and depend on the wording. We don't "accomplish" any work when moving ourselves or another mass on level ground - the mass has no more energy after the move than it had before. However, work is still done against friction. Even running on the spot converts some biological energy into heat because muscles are not 100% efficient. Even if the person doesn't move, energy is used to keep him living.

Related to Work on a Football: Energy Transfer and Distance

1. How does energy transfer occur in a football?

Energy transfer in a football occurs through various forms, including mechanical energy, thermal energy, and electrical energy. When a player kicks or throws the football, it gains mechanical energy, which allows it to move. As the football moves, it also experiences air resistance, which causes a transfer of thermal energy. Additionally, if the football has an internal battery or chip, it may also transfer electrical energy.

2. How does distance affect the energy transfer in a football?

The distance a football travels can impact the amount of energy transfer it experiences. For instance, if a player kicks or throws the football with more force, it will travel a greater distance and experience a greater transfer of energy. Similarly, if a player kicks or throws the football with less force, it will travel a shorter distance and experience a smaller transfer of energy.

3. What factors influence the energy transfer in a football?

Several factors can influence the energy transfer in a football, including the force applied to it, the distance it travels, and the medium it travels through. Other factors, such as air resistance, temperature, and the football's composition, can also impact energy transfer.

4. How does the composition of a football affect its energy transfer?

The composition of a football can significantly impact its energy transfer. A football made of softer materials, such as foam, will experience less energy transfer compared to a football made of harder materials, such as leather. This is because softer materials absorb more of the energy, while harder materials allow for a more efficient transfer of energy.

5. How is energy transfer in a football related to the game of football?

The energy transfer in a football is directly related to the game of football. The energy transfer allows players to kick, throw, and catch the football, which are essential skills in the game. Additionally, the transfer of energy also affects the ball's movement, such as its trajectory, speed, and distance, which can ultimately impact the outcome of the game.