EE major, worth it to minor in Biomed?

In summary, if you want to work in the medical industry as an engineer, you may want to consider majoring in BME or pursuing EE with a minor in BME. The growth of BME jobs is expected to be much higher than EE jobs, but a combination of both disciplines could also be beneficial. You could explore dual degree programs or seek out internships and job opportunities that require knowledge in both fields.
jordainloves
I want to work in the medical industry. Biomedical engineering is a pretty broad, multidisciplinary field, so I'm sure they work in teams including EEs.
It's really the biomedical engineering type projects that I want to work on, now I'm just trying to decide which role I want to take on in these projects.

I've heard people criticize BME as being "too broad" and it is still a small field compared to EE. If that were true, it might be better to major in EE and get a minor in BME.

UCI offers a minor in BME and I got this from the site.

"Private biomedical industry has indicated a keen interest in engineers that have a more traditional engineering degree (i.e. electrical engineering), but also possesses some in-depth knowledge of biomedical systems. Hence, the minor in Biomedical Engineering is designed to provide a student with the introductory skills necessary to perform as an engineer in the biomedical arena."

I could see myself enjoying either one. I like the idea of solving engineering problems. Learning biology to do that sounds just as fun as circuit analysis and programming. A few job descriptions I read required BMEs to know how to program in C, MATLAB, etc. I imagine there is some degree of overlap between the two.

I'm not thinking so much about the money, but according to the bls, EE jobs are expected to grow 2% and BME jobs are expected to grow 72%. the average growth is 11%

questions:
If I already know that I want to work in the medical industry as an engineer, would it make more sense to major in BME or go the EE route. And what do you think about the minor in BME?
Does anyone know why EE isn't growing anymore? I'm guessing outsourcing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a way to combine the two fields? It really depends on your end goal and what kind of work you are interested in. If you want to work in the medical industry, you may want to explore BME as your major, or you may want to pursue EE with a minor in BME. This will give you a good foundation in both disciplines and will help you gain the skills necessary to be successful in the medical industry. Regarding the growth of EE jobs, it is likely due to a combination of factors, such as automation, outsourcing, and the emergence of new technologies. To combine the two fields, you could always pursue a dual degree program, which would allow you to gain experience in both disciplines. Alternatively, you could also look for internships or job opportunities that require knowledge of both BME and EE.

Related to EE major, worth it to minor in Biomed?

1. Is it worth it to minor in Biomedical Engineering as an Electrical Engineering major?

It depends on your personal career goals and interests. If you are interested in working in the healthcare industry or developing medical devices, a minor in Biomedical Engineering can be beneficial. It can also make you a more well-rounded engineer with a diverse skill set.

2. Will a minor in Biomedical Engineering add value to my degree?

Yes, a minor in Biomedical Engineering can add value to your degree by giving you a deeper understanding of the intersection between electrical engineering and healthcare. It can also make you a more competitive job candidate in the biomedical industry.

3. Is the coursework for a Biomedical Engineering minor significantly different from Electrical Engineering?

While there may be some overlap in coursework, a Biomedical Engineering minor will likely have a focus on topics such as medical instrumentation, bioinstrumentation, and medical imaging. You may also have the opportunity to work on projects related to healthcare technology.

4. Can I still graduate on time with a minor in Biomedical Engineering?

It depends on your university's requirements and the number of credits needed for the minor. Some universities offer flexible schedules and allow students to take courses from both majors, making it possible to graduate on time. It's important to plan ahead and communicate with your academic advisor to ensure timely graduation.

5. How will a minor in Biomedical Engineering impact my job prospects?

A minor in Biomedical Engineering can make you a more attractive job candidate in the healthcare industry, as it shows your ability to apply electrical engineering principles to the medical field. It may also open up opportunities for internships or jobs in medical device companies or research institutions.