Does this graduate engineering degree look good to employers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between a Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) and a Master of Science (MS) degree at Purdue University, with a focus on concentrations in electrical engineering (EE) or biomedical engineering (BME). It is mentioned that the MSE degree is preferred for students with a BS in engineering, while the MS is preferred for those with a non-engineering background. The conversation also mentions the potential impact of the degree on future job opportunities in the biomedical device industry. Ultimately, the experts agree that the name of the degree is not as important as the skills and experience gained through the program.
cheme84
I have posted this question in other forums but have not received a clear answer.

I am interesting in pursing a Master's degree in EE or BME. Since I have a BS in ChemE, I don't want to take a trillion undergrad courses before entering the EE or BME master's program. Purdue offers an online degree of Master's of Science in Engineering (MSE) or Master's of Science (MS). Both degrees offer concentration in various department including electrical engineering and biomedical engineering. The MSE degree is preferred for students who have a BS in engineering and want to pursue a Master's in a different engineering field while the MS is preferred for students who have a BS in a field different than engineering. I plan to apply for the MSE with a concentration in EE or BME. I plan to get a job in the biomedical device industry.

What I would like to ask is how does an MSE with an emphasis in EE or BME look to employers rather than an MSEE or MSBME?

https://engineering.purdue.edu/ProEd/credit/mse

Physics news on Phys.org
This is for EE/CS related fields. In other engineering fields, it might matter because of professional certifications

I don't think it's going to matter because

1) Employers won't know and don't care about trivial differences in majors. If you handed me a resume, I'd have no idea how Purdue does its majors, and I really don't care.

2) The degree will just get you to an interview. At the interview, you will be asked questions to assess your technical ability and that's what matters. If the interviewer is looking for a C++ coder and all your experience is in assembly language microcoding, then you aren't going to get the job, but it also works vice versa.

3) What matters more is not the name of the degree but the resources available to it. For example, if (and I don't know that this is a the case), Purdue is able to put people with one type of degree into internships and not another, this will make a big difference. It's not the name of the degree that is important, but if one type of degree will get you some crucial experience and another type won't then that makes a difference.

Engineering is about what you've done and how successful you were (and also, who you know, but you should already know that by now). Now I don't know about the US but in the UK, if it's a masters level degree then that's all that matters.

Thanks for the info guys. I will go ahead and apply.

-masters-in-engineering

I can provide a response to this question based on my knowledge and experience in the field of engineering and the job market. It is important to note that every employer may have different preferences and criteria for hiring, so it is difficult to give a definitive answer. However, here are some general points to consider:

1. Specialized knowledge: A Master's degree, whether it is an MSE or MS, is generally viewed positively by employers as it shows a higher level of education and specialized knowledge in a specific field. In your case, having a Master's degree in EE or BME would demonstrate your expertise in that particular area, which can be attractive to employers in the biomedical device industry.

2. Relevance to the job: Employers in the biomedical device industry will likely value a candidate with a Master's degree in a related field, such as EE or BME, as it shows that you have a strong foundation and understanding of the technical aspects of the industry. The MSE degree with a concentration in EE or BME would be particularly appealing as it combines both engineering and biomedical knowledge.

3. Flexibility: The MSE degree offers more flexibility compared to a traditional MSEE or MSBME degree as it allows you to choose a concentration in a different engineering field. This could be beneficial for employers as it shows your versatility and ability to adapt to different areas of engineering.

4. Reputation of the university: Employers may also consider the reputation of the university where you obtained your degree. Purdue University is well-known for its engineering programs, so having a Master's degree from there would be viewed positively by employers.

In summary, an MSE degree with a concentration in EE or BME can be a strong asset for your job search in the biomedical device industry. It showcases your specialized knowledge, relevance to the job, flexibility, and the reputation of the university. However, it is important to also gain practical experience and skills through internships, research projects, or other opportunities to make yourself a well-rounded candidate for employers.

Related to Does this graduate engineering degree look good to employers?

1. Will a graduate engineering degree make me more competitive in the job market?

Yes, having a graduate engineering degree can make you more competitive when applying for jobs in the engineering field. Employers often value advanced degrees as they show a higher level of expertise and dedication to the field.

2. How will a graduate engineering degree benefit my career?

A graduate engineering degree can benefit your career in several ways. It can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in your specific area of engineering, making you a more valuable asset to potential employers. It can also open up opportunities for higher level positions and increased earning potential.

3. Should I choose a specialized or general graduate engineering degree?

This ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. A specialized degree can make you stand out in a specific area of engineering and may be more beneficial for certain job roles. However, a general degree can provide a broader knowledge base and may be more versatile in the job market.

4. Are there any specific graduate engineering degrees that are highly valued by employers?

This can vary depending on the industry and specific job role. Some highly valued graduate engineering degrees include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer engineering. It is always best to research the job market and see which degrees are in high demand in your desired field.

5. Will a graduate engineering degree guarantee me a job?

No, a graduate engineering degree is not a guarantee of employment. While it can make you more competitive and open up opportunities, it is still important to have a strong resume, relevant experience, and good interview skills. Networking and gaining practical experience can also greatly improve your chances of getting hired.