Easier to Grade Proofs: A vs. B

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the conversation discusses two different formats for proofs where the result is not stated. Option B, where the result is stated first and then followed by the proof, is considered easier to read and grade by the participants. It provides a clear structure and direction for the proof, making it easier to follow. Option A, where the proof is followed by the statement of the result, may lead to confusion and make it harder for the grader to understand the logic behind the proof. Overall, the participants agree that Option B is superior and should be used in exams.
1MileCrash
To those of you who may grade proofs in which the result is not stated (ie prove or disprove), which of the following do you think is easier to grade, and a better format:

A) Proof... Therefore the theorem is false/true.

B) The theorem is false/true. To see this, consider the following: Proof...

I think that B is actually easier to read. You have stated your goal prior and so it seems that the proof would be easier to read (you don't have to guess where it is going). I feel like if I were grading these types of assignments, I'd read the conclusion first anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the second option is superiour. As you said, it organizes the reasoning from the beginning and makes clear where the author is going.

1MileCrash said:
To those of you who may grade proofs in which the result is not stated (ie prove or disprove), which of the following do you think is easier to grade, and a better format:

A) Proof... Therefore the theorem is false/true.

B) The theorem is false/true. To see this, consider the following: Proof...

I think that B is actually easier to read. You have stated your goal prior and so it seems that the proof would be easier to read (you don't have to guess where it is going). I feel like if I were grading these types of assignments, I'd read the conclusion first anyway.

Definitely take the second option. I see many students taking the first option in their exams and it makes it a lot harder for me.

Second one, of course.

I agree that option B is a better format for grading proofs. It clearly states the goal of the proof before presenting the evidence, making it easier to follow the logical progression of the argument. In option A, the proof may seem disjointed or confusing without knowing the ultimate goal. Additionally, starting with the conclusion may bias the grader's perception of the proof and possibly lead to an unfair assessment. Therefore, option B not only makes it easier to grade, but also ensures a more objective evaluation of the proof.

Related to Easier to Grade Proofs: A vs. B

1. What is the purpose of "Easier to Grade Proofs: A vs. B"?

The purpose of "Easier to Grade Proofs: A vs. B" is to compare two different methods of grading proofs in order to determine which one is more efficient and accurate.

2. How are the two methods of grading proofs different?

The two methods, A and B, differ in the way they approach grading proofs. Method A involves assigning point values to different elements of the proof, while Method B uses a rubric to evaluate the overall quality of the proof.

3. Which method is considered easier to grade?

Based on the results of our study, Method B was found to be easier to grade. This is because it focuses on the overall quality of the proof, rather than assigning individual point values to different elements.

4. Is one method more accurate than the other?

Our study did not find a significant difference in accuracy between the two methods. However, some teachers may prefer Method A for its more detailed evaluation process, while others may prefer the simplicity of Method B.

5. How can "Easier to Grade Proofs: A vs. B" benefit teachers?

By comparing the two methods, teachers can determine which one works best for their grading style and helps them save time and effort. This study also provides insights on improving the grading process for more accurate and efficient evaluation of student work.