Why did I lose 60% on my proof of Generalized Vandermonde's Identity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof of Generalized Vandermonde's Identity using a story proof or double counting. The proof presented received a grade of 2/5 and the grader provided feedback that more details were needed. The proof involves choosing elements from sets and the summation is clarified to range over all lists of nonnegative integers that add up to m. The proof also explains how the RHS and LHS are equivalent and addresses the issue of double counting. However, the proof is criticized for not explicitly explaining the double counting and for not starting from the LHS.
12john
My tests are submitted and marked anonymously. I got a 2/5 on the following, but the grader wrote no feedback besides that more detail was required. What details could I have added? How could I perfect my proof?
Prove Generalized Vandermonde's Identity, solely using a story proof or double counting. DON'T prove using algebra or induction — if you do, you earn zero marks.

$$\sum\limits_{k_1+\cdots +k_p = m} {n_1\choose k_1} {n_2\choose k_2} \cdots {n_p\choose k_p} = { n_1+\dots +n_p \choose m }.$$

Beneath is my proof graded 2/5.
I start by clarifying that the summation ranges over all lists of NONnegative integers ##(k_1,k_2,\dots,k_p)## for which ##k_1 + \dots + k_p = m##. These ##k_i## integers are NONnegative, because this summation's addend or argument contains ##\binom{n_i}{k_i}##.

On the LHS, you choose ##k_1## elements out of a first set of ##n_1## elements; then ##k_2## out of another set of ##n_2## elements, and so on, through ##p## such sets — until you've chosen a total of ##m## elements from the ##p## sets.

Thus, on the LHS, you are choosing ##m## elements out of ##n_1+\dots +n_p##, which is exactly the RHS. Q.E.D.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can't read the mind of the person who graded it, but you could have made clearer why (or at least mention that) the sum catches every possible way to select m elements. You only documented that every "element" of the LHS is part of the RHS, i.e. LHS <= RHS.

I miss a comment on the summation. And the product is only implicitly explained. Where is the double counting? I would have expected an argument ##\sum \ldots = ?## but you have looked at the RHS and reasoned from there instead of the other way around.

To put what the others said in another way, the way I read your proof, you seem to be saying
$$\binom{n_1}{k_1}\binom{n_2}{k_2} \cdots \binom{n_p}{k_p} = \binom{n_1+\cdots+n_p}{m}$$ as long as ##m=k_1+\cdots+k_p##.

1. Why is my proof of Generalized Vandermonde's Identity resulting in a 60% loss?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that there is an error in your proof or calculation. Another possibility is that there are certain assumptions or conditions that need to be met for the identity to hold, and if those are not satisfied, it can result in a loss. It is important to carefully review your proof and double-check your calculations to identify the cause of the loss.

2. Is a 60% loss acceptable in a proof of Generalized Vandermonde's Identity?

It depends on the context and the specific application of the identity. In some cases, a 60% loss may be acceptable, while in others it may not be. It is important to consider the significance of the identity in your particular field and determine if the loss is within an acceptable range.

3. How can I improve my proof to reduce the 60% loss?

One way to improve your proof is to carefully review and check for any errors or mistakes. You can also seek feedback from colleagues or experts in the field to identify any potential flaws or areas for improvement. Additionally, it may be helpful to explore alternative methods or approaches for proving the identity.

4. Are there any common mistakes that result in a 60% loss in the proof of Generalized Vandermonde's Identity?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that can lead to a loss in the proof of this identity. These include incorrect calculations, incorrect assumptions or conditions, and not considering all possible cases or scenarios. It is important to carefully review your proof and check for these potential errors.

5. Can I still use the proof of Generalized Vandermonde's Identity if there is a 60% loss?

Again, it depends on the context and application of the identity. If the loss is within an acceptable range and does not significantly impact the validity of the proof, it may still be usable. However, if the loss is too significant, it may be necessary to revise the proof or explore alternative methods. It is important to carefully consider the implications of the loss and determine if the proof is still applicable in your particular situation.