Dynamics - particle moves on smooth inside surface of hemisphere?

In summary, the conversation is about a particle moving on the inside surface of a hemisphere and being projected with a certain speed. The homework problem involves finding the heights that the particle moves between and using conservation of energy. The conversation also includes a discussion about the difference between the two heights and the parameter b. Through the use of approximations, the conversation leads to a solution for the difference between the two heights of the particle.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

I'm currently working on this question:

A particle moves on the smooth inside surface of the hemisphere
z = -(a^2 - r^2)^(1/2), r <= a,
where (r, theta, z) denote cylindrical polar coordinates, with the z-axis vertically upward.

Initially the particle is at z = 0, and it is projected with speed V in the theta-direction.

1. Show that the particle moves between two heights in the subsequent motion, and find them.

2. Show, too, that if the parameter b = (V^2)/4ga is very large then the difference between the two heights is approximately a/(2b).

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy 1/2 m(r'^2 + r^2 theta'^2 + z'^2) + mgz = constant
rtheta' = V
r^2 theta = aV
theta ' = aV/r^2
( ' = dot, differentiation)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck on question 1, I got to an answer using conservation of energy that ended with solving a quadratic, this is the particle moves between z=0 and z= (V^2 + sqrt(V^4 + 16g^2a^2))/4g but when I sub in the parameter in (2) I get to the wrong answer, ie 2ab. So I guess I've done 1 wrong. Any ideas guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Kate2010! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Kate2010 said:
2. Show, too, that if the parameter b = (V^2)/4ga is very large then the difference between the two heights is approximately a/(2b).

the particle moves between z=0 and z= (V^2 + sqrt(V^4 + 16g^2a^2))/4g but when I sub in the parameter in (2) I get to the wrong answer, ie 2ab. So I guess I've done 1 wrong. Any ideas guys?

How did you get 2ab from that equation (I get a/2b)?

(Did you use √(1 + X) ~ 1 + X/2 ?)

I can get to a(b + √(b² +1))

Then I said √(b² +1) is roughly equal to b, I think this is where I'm going wrong?

oops! :redface: I've just noticed that when i got a/2b, i misread your equation as z= (V^2 - sqrt(V^4 + 16g^2a^2))/4g (with a minus instead of a plus) …

are you sure it isn't that (because the z should be negative, shouldn't it)?

Yes you're right, z should be negative.

So I get to a(b - √(b² +1))

I still don't understand how this is approximately equal to a/2b.

Kate2010 said:
Yes you're right, z should be negative.

he he :biggrin: … I'm accidentally right again! :redface:
So I get to a(b - √(b² +1))

I still don't understand how this is approximately equal to a/2b.

b is large, so you need to divide by b to get (1 + something-small) inside the √ …

a(b - √(b² +1)) = ab(1 - √(1 +1/b²)).

Now just use √(1 + X) ~ 1 + X/2. :wink:

Got it! Thanks a lot :biggrin:

Related to Dynamics - particle moves on smooth inside surface of hemisphere?

1. What is the definition of dynamics in physics?

Dynamics in physics is the branch of mechanics that studies the motion of objects and the forces that cause this motion. It deals with the relationship between the motion of an object and the forces acting upon it.

2. How does a particle move on the smooth inside surface of a hemisphere?

In this scenario, the particle moves in a circular path due to the centripetal force provided by the surface of the hemisphere. The particle's motion is a combination of rotational and translational motion, as it moves in a circular path while also translating along the surface of the hemisphere.

3. What is the equation for the centripetal force acting on the particle?

The equation for the centripetal force is F = mv²/r, where m is the mass of the particle, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path it is moving along.

4. How does the particle's acceleration change as it moves along the surface of the hemisphere?

The particle's acceleration remains constant in magnitude, but its direction changes constantly as it moves along the curved surface. This is because the direction of the centripetal force, which is responsible for the particle's circular motion, is always changing along the curved path.

5. What is the relationship between the particle's speed and the radius of its circular path?

As the radius of the circular path decreases, the particle's speed increases in order to maintain the same centripetal force. This is governed by the equation v = √(gr), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the circular path.