How Do You Choose the Correct Polar Coordinates for Surface Integrals?

In summary: So, the problem is just an integration of a constant, which is just a nice circle of radius 5. Now, if you choose ##v = r\cos(\theta)##, then the integration will be ##\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{5}\int_{0}^{v^2+u^2}v\,dwdudv##, while if you choose ##v = r\sin(\theta)##, then the integration will be ##\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{5}\int_{0}^{v^2+u^2}u\,dwdudv##. In both cases, you'll
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Solve the surface integral ##\displaystyle \iint_S z^2 \, dS##, where ##S## is the part of the paraboloid ##x=y^2+z^2## given by ##0 \le x \le 1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, we make the parametrization ##x=u^2+v^2, \, y=u, \, z = v##, so let ##\vec{r}(u,v) = \langle u^2 + v^2, u, v \rangle##, then through computation ##| \vec{r}_u \times \vec{r}_v | = \sqrt{1+4u^2+4v^2}##, and so ##\displaystyle \iint_S z^2 \, dS = \displaystyle \iint_D v^2 \sqrt{1+4u^2 + 4v^2} \, dA##, where ##D = \{(u,v) \, | \, u^2 + v^2 \le 1 \}##. However, this is where I get stuck, because I want to use polar coordinates to evaluate the latter integral, but I am not sure whether to use ##v = r \sin \theta## or ##v = r \cos \theta##

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Solve the surface integral ##\displaystyle \iint_S z^2 \, dS##, where ##S## is the part of the paraboloid ##x=y^2+z^2## given by ##0 \le x \le 1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, we make the parametrization ##x=u^2+v^2, \, y=u, \, z = v##, so let ##\vec{r}(u,v) = \langle u^2 + v^2, u, v \rangle##, then through computation ##| \vec{r}_u \times \vec{r}_v | = \sqrt{1+4u^2+4v^2}##, and so ##\displaystyle \iint_S z^2 \, dS = \displaystyle \iint_D v^2 \sqrt{1+4u^2 + 4v^2} \, dA##, where ##D = \{(u,v) \, | \, u^2 + v^2 \le 1 \}##. However, this is where I get stuck, because I want to use polar coordinates to evaluate the latter integral, but I am not sure whether to use ##v = r \sin \theta## or ##v = r \cos \theta##

It doesn't matter what you use. If you choose ##v = r\cos(\theta)##, then you will have polar coordinates in the ##zy##-plane. Thus, the angle starts from the ##z##-axis. In the other case, in the ##yz##-plane, the angle starts at the ##y## axis. The funny thing is that you don't even have to understand what's happening geometrically, as it is always a full rotation.

However, I should add, that there is a better parametrisation: (use cylindrical coordinates)

##\begin{cases}x = (R\cos(\theta))^2 + (R\sin(\theta))^2 = R^2 \\ y = R\cos(\theta) \\z=R\sin(\theta)\end{cases}##

where ##R \in [0,1], \theta \in [0, 2\pi]##

Math_QED said:
It doesn't matter what you use. If you choose ##v = r\cos(\theta)##, then you will have polar coordinates in the ##zy##-plane. Thus, the angle starts from the ##z##-axis. In the other case, in the ##yz##-plane, the angle starts at the ##y## axis. The funny thing is that you don't even have to understand what's happening geometrically, as it is always a full rotation.

However, I should add, that there is a better parametrisation: (use cylindrical coordinates)

##\begin{cases}x = (R\cos(\theta))^2 + (R\sin(\theta))^2 = R^2 \\ y = R\cos(\theta) \\z=R\sin(\theta)\end{cases}##

where ##R \in [0,1], \theta \in [0, 2\pi]##
Would there every be a case when it matters which I choose? For example, what if I just had
##\displaystyle \iint_D v \, dA##, where ##0 \le v^2 + u^2 \le 25##? Then wouldn't it matter?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Would there every be a case when it matters which I choose? For example, what if I just had
##\displaystyle \iint_D v \, dA##, where ##0 \le v^2 + u^2 \le 25##? Then wouldn't it matter?

It never matters if you can correctly interpret what's happening geometrically. In this case, it doesn't matter since ##\theta \in [0,2\pi]##. If ##\theta \in [0,a]## with ##a < 2\pi##, things get trickier.

Your question is easier to answer if you think just in the original 2D ##xy## plane (that's how I think about it. If we use polar coordinates in yz, then just act as the the yz plane is the xy plane and change y,z accordingly).

Likes Mr Davis 97

Related to How Do You Choose the Correct Polar Coordinates for Surface Integrals?

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used in calculus and geometry to find the total value of a function over a two-dimensional surface. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of integrating over a one-dimensional interval, it integrates over a two-dimensional surface.

2. How is a surface integral solved?

To solve a surface integral, you first need to set up the integral by defining the surface and the function to be integrated. Then, you need to parameterize the surface and calculate the surface area element. Finally, you can evaluate the integral using the appropriate integration techniques.

3. What are the applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moments of inertia of three-dimensional objects, as well as the flux of a vector field through a surface.

4. Can surface integrals be solved using software?

Yes, surface integrals can be solved using software such as Mathematica, MATLAB, or Wolfram Alpha. These programs have built-in functions that can perform the necessary calculations and provide the solution to the surface integral.

5. What are some common challenges when solving surface integrals?

One of the main challenges when solving surface integrals is setting up the integral correctly. This involves correctly defining the surface and choosing the appropriate parametrization. Another challenge is calculating the surface area element, which can be tedious and require advanced mathematical skills.