Drag force on a flat plat like a pendulum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of a flat plate that is fixed like a pendulum, with one end fixed and the other end free to rotate. The individual is seeking information on the drag force due to air on this plate and is directed to reference Hoerner's Fluid Dynamic Drag for experimental results from the 1930s.
shady
Hi , please i want to know if i have flat plate (rectangle) but its fixed like pendulum (fixed from one end and free at the other end and can rotate around this fixed end) i want to know the drag force due to air on this plate?

Engineering news on Phys.org
shady said:
Hi , please i want to know if i have flat plate (rectangle) but its fixed like pendulum (fixed from one end and free at the other end and can rotate around this fixed end) i want to know the drag force due to air on this plate?
Welcome to the PF.

So far, your description is not enough to understand the setup. Can you post a sketch please? You can use the Upload button in the lower right of the window to upload PDF and JPEG files.

You may find something of interest in Hoerner's Fluid Dynamic Drag. It is mostly experimental results from 1930s Germany.

Related to Drag force on a flat plat like a pendulum?

What is drag force?

Drag force is the force that opposes the motion of an object moving through a fluid (such as air or water).

How does drag force affect a flat plate pendulum?

Drag force affects a flat plate pendulum by slowing down its motion and causing it to eventually come to a stop due to the resistance it experiences while moving through the air.

Can drag force be reduced on a flat plate pendulum?

Yes, drag force can be reduced on a flat plate pendulum by adjusting its shape or orientation to minimize the surface area facing the direction of motion, or by increasing the fluid's viscosity.

What factors affect the magnitude of drag force on a flat plate pendulum?

The magnitude of drag force on a flat plate pendulum is affected by factors such as the object's shape, size, velocity, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through.

How is drag force calculated on a flat plate pendulum?

Drag force on a flat plate pendulum can be calculated using the formula Fd = 1/2 * ρ * V^2 * Cd * A, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the object's velocity, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.