Double Integral of a Circle with Limits of Integration

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating the function f(x,y)=y2\sqrt{1-x2} over the region x2+y2< 1 and the incorrect answer obtained using a limited range for the integration. The correct method involves expanding the brackets and integrating, and the conversation also explores an alternative method using the chain rule and product rule.
LASmith

Homework Statement

Evaluate
f(x,y)=y2[itex]\sqrt{1-x2}[/itex]
over the region
x2+y2< 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

using x limits between -1 & 1 followed by the y limits of 0 & [itex]\sqrt{1-x2}[/itex]

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]y2[itex]\sqrt{1-x2}[/itex].dy.dx

Evaluating this and multiplying be 2 to get the whole circle I get 0 as the 1 and -1 limits both give zero as the answer. Therefore I used the x limits of 0 & 1 and multiplied by 4 instead, this gave an answer of 4/9, however I have been given the answer of 32/45, and I have no idea how this could possibly be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi LASmith! :smile:
LASmith said:
… Therefore I used the x limits of 0 & 1 and multiplied by 4 instead, this gave an answer of 4/9 …

Your intermediate integrand must be wrong. :redface:

Show us what you had inside the ∫ when it was just ∫ … dx​

tiny-tim said:
Show us what you had inside the ∫ when it was just ∫ … dx​

[itex]\int[/itex] y3[itex]\sqrt{1-x2}[/itex]/3 .dx

Then substituting the limits [itex]\sqrt{1-x2}[/itex] and 0 for y I obtained

[itex]\int[/itex] (1-x2)2)/3 .dx

Limits between 0 and 1 for this final integral

The set [itex]x^2+ y^2< 1[/itex] is the interior of a circle with center at (0, 0) and radius 1. That means that a diameter, on the x-axis, goes from -1 to 1, and on the y-axis, from -1 to 1. By taking y from 0 (the x-axis) up to [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex] (the circle) and x from -1 to 1, you are only integrating over 1/2 of the circle.

Your y needs to go from the point where the vertical line crosses the circle below the x-axis to the point where it crosses the circle above the x-axis.

LASmith said:
[itex]\int[/itex] (1-x2)2)/3 .dx

= ∫ (1 - 2x2 + x4)/3 dx …

how did you not get a factor 1/5 after integrating this? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
= ∫ (1 - 2x2 + x4)/3 dx …

how did you not get a factor 1/5 after integrating this? :confused:

Expanding the brackets and then integrating I obtained the correct answer, so thanks for that.

However, looking back I had no idea how I did not get a factor of 1/5, I did not expand out the brackets, and just used the chain rule to obtain
(1-x2)3/-18x
Then putting in the limits 0 and 1 gets the answer 0-0, out of curiosity how does this method not work?

Hi LASmith! :smile:
LASmith said:
… looking back I had no idea how I did not get a factor of 1/5, I did not expand out the brackets, and just used the chain rule to obtain
(1-x2)3/-18x
Then putting in the limits 0 and 1 gets the answer 0-0, out of curiosity how does this method not work?

Just try differentiating (1-x2)3/-18x …

you'd have to use both the chain rule and the product (or quotient) rule, and they don't cancel (why should they?).

Related to Double Integral of a Circle with Limits of Integration

1. What is a double integral circle limit?

A double integral circle limit is a mathematical concept used to determine the area bounded by a circle on a two-dimensional plane. It involves calculating the integral of a function over a circular region, using two variables.

2. How is a double integral circle limit different from a single integral?

A single integral involves calculating the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral circle limit calculates the area within a circular region in two dimensions. It uses two variables, typically denoted as x and y, to define the boundaries of the circle.

3. What is the formula for a double integral circle limit?

The formula for a double integral circle limit is ∫∫f(x,y)dA, where f(x,y) is the function being integrated and dA represents the infinitesimal area element over the circular region. This formula can be converted into polar coordinates for simpler calculations.

4. What are the applications of double integral circle limits in science?

Double integral circle limits have various applications in science, especially in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate moments of inertia, center of mass, and other physical properties of circular objects. They are also used in electromagnetism and fluid dynamics to calculate flux and flow rate.

5. What are the different methods for evaluating a double integral circle limit?

There are several methods for evaluating a double integral circle limit, including iterated integrals, polar coordinates, and change of variables. Each method has its advantages and is used depending on the complexity of the function being integrated.