Double exponential integration (a,∞) - how to implement.

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for integrating a difficult integral with limits from a to infinity. One alternative method mentioned is using Gaussian quadrature with a transformation of the semi-infinite interval. The transformation of variables used is u=X+a, which allows for a simpler integration.
maistral
NOTE: This isn't homework.

So I'm trying to integrate a really awkward integral with limits from a to infinity;

[itex]\int^{∞}_{30471.2729807}(\frac{83.1451 * 373.15}{X})-(\frac{83.1451 * 373.15}{X-30.4811353}-\frac{5534906.5380409}{X^2})dX[/itex]

Since the Simpson's and Trapezoidal would be really awkward to use with these (I literally used a limit of 30471.2729807 to 1000000000 (lol)) I tried to search for other alternatives, and I found this.

I can't understand how this is implemented though. This transformation

[itex]\int^{∞}_{a}f(X)dX → \int^{∞}_{0}f(X+a)dX[/itex]

is bothering me as well. Can someone point me where a step-by-step algorithm of the method's implementation is made; or if possible, someone tell me how it was done?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a transformation of variables: let u=X+a; then for X=(a,inf) we get u=(0,inf), and dX = du.

All they did was skip the formal analysis and went directly to the result: f(u) = f(X+a).

I see. Got it.

Related to Double exponential integration (a,∞) - how to implement.

1. What is double exponential integration?

Double exponential integration is a numerical integration method used to efficiently and accurately compute the definite integral of a function over an infinite interval. It is particularly useful for functions that are rapidly decaying or oscillatory.

2. How does double exponential integration work?

Double exponential integration uses a combination of Gaussian quadrature and interpolation techniques to approximate the integral. It divides the interval into subintervals and then applies a transformation to map the infinite interval onto a finite one, where traditional numerical integration methods can be used.

3. What is the advantage of using double exponential integration?

The main advantage of double exponential integration is its high accuracy and efficiency. It can accurately integrate functions that would be challenging or impossible to integrate using other methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. It also requires relatively few function evaluations, making it faster than other methods.

4. How do I implement double exponential integration?

The implementation of double exponential integration involves choosing appropriate parameters, such as the number of subintervals and the degree of interpolation, and then applying the transformation and integration formulas. There are also software libraries and packages available that can handle the implementation for you.

5. In what applications is double exponential integration commonly used?

Double exponential integration is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications, particularly in fields such as physics, chemistry, and signal processing. It is also used in financial modeling, where it can accurately compute the values of integrals related to option pricing and risk management.