Doppler Effect (Sound) - Source moving away from the Observer

In summary, the conversation is about a physics exercise on the Doppler effect on sound. The problem involves finding the relationship between the time the signal is received at the ground (Tr) and the time the signal was emitted by the source (Ts). The equation given is [1-(u/v)2]*Ts=Tr-(1/v)√(h2*[1-(u/v)2]+u2*Tr2), where v is the speed of sound. The conversation includes different attempts at solving the problem and eventually, the person solves it by isolating the square root and solving for Ts. In the end, they express gratitude for the help received.
Armenio
Hi! I was doing some exercises about the doppler effect on sound until I found this problem that I can't find the solution!

"A source of sound of frequency f0 moves horizontally at constant speed u in the x direction at a distance h above the ground. An observer is situated on the ground at the point x=0 (the source passes over this point at t=0).
Show that the signal received at any time Tr at the ground was emitted by the source at an early time Ts , such that:

[1-(u/v)2]*Ts=Tr-(1/v)√(h2*[1-(u/v)2]+u2*Tr2)

where v is the speed of the sound."

Can someone please help me and explain this exercise to me? I have been trying to solve it for 48 hours and I just can't! -.-

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to physicsforums :) Interesting problem. Where are you having difficulties? In this forum, they have a strong policy of homework helping, so we need some more information on what you have tried so far, otherwise I don't really know how to help. For example, I'm guessing that you know the answer for the problem if the source is moving exactly away from the observer? Think about how this problem is different to that problem.

The source at a time t is u*t away from the source at x=0 (t=0).
The distance from the source to the observer at any given t is d=sqrt(h^2+u^2*t^2).
And then I started to work with tetas and angles, but I don't know if that is correct, because I'm using small angles aproximation.

you should be able to do the exercise without small angle approximation. Also, this problem is a bit less straightforward than I first thought. It seems like they want you to assume that the speed of sound is the same according to all observers. Keep this in mind, and try to relate their equation to a relativistic transformation of variables. (remember Tr and Ts are times according to someone, they are not absolute, since this problem is relativistic). Also, are you sure that in the equation
the last term is Tr2 ? It would make more sense to me if it was Ts2, I'm not sure though. This problem is a bit vague, I am not surprised that you have been working on it for a while.

Let p be the position of the source at time Ts. Let Δt be the time interval it takes the sound to travel from p to the observer. How are Ts, Δt, and Tr related? How can you express Δt in terms of h, u, Ts, and v? (Use your expression for d.) There's no need to use a small angle approximation.

Even my mechanics teacher couldn't solve the problem immediatly (I'm still waiting for an e-mail from him with some hints).

BruceW said:
you should be able to do the exercise without small angle approximation. Also, this problem is a bit less straightforward than I first thought. It seems like they want you to assume that the speed of sound is the same according to all observers. Keep this in mind, and try to relate their equation to a relativistic transformation of variables. (remember Tr and Ts are times according to someone, they are not absolute, since this problem is relativistic). Also, are you sure that in the equation
the last term is Tr2 ? It would make more sense to me if it was Ts2, I'm not sure though. This problem is a bit vague, I am not surprised that you have been working on it for a while.

Yeah, I know. I tought the same thing but the equation is correct.
I have made some progress and I found out that:

Ts=Tr-(√(h2+u2*Ts2)/v)

I'm still working with angles and have found some curious observations.
I think I'm getting closer but I really don't know how to get to the term (1-[u/v]2)!

To verify your equation, you might consider drawing a diagram, assigning some numbers to the problem and then see if the answer works out. For example, let h = say 1000m, let v = 100 m/s, speed of sound 340 m/s. Assume you heard the sound at t = 5 seconds, what would Ts be?

Armenio said:
I have made some progress and I found out that:

Ts=Tr-(√(h2+u2*Ts2)/v)

I'm still working with angles and have found some curious observations.
I think I'm getting closer but I really don't know how to get to the term (1-[u/v]2)!

This looks good. You just need to solve for Ts. Isolate the square root on one side of the equation and then square both sides. You'll get a quadratic equation for Ts.

TSny said:
This looks good. You just need to solve for Ts. Isolate the square root on one side of the equation and then square both sides. You'll get a quadratic equation for Ts.

Ahahahaha of course!

You are a genius!

I've finally made the exercise and I've sent an e-mail to my teacher to teach him how to do it too.

Thank you all!

Related to Doppler Effect (Sound) - Source moving away from the Observer

1. How does the Doppler Effect occur?

The Doppler Effect occurs when there is a relative motion between the source of sound and the observer. This motion causes a change in the frequency of the sound waves perceived by the observer.

2. How does the frequency of sound change when the source is moving away from the observer?

When the source of sound is moving away from the observer, the frequency of the sound waves decreases. This is because the distance between each sound wave increases, resulting in a longer wavelength and a lower frequency.

3. How does the speed of sound affect the Doppler Effect?

The speed of sound does not affect the Doppler Effect. It is solely dependent on the relative motion between the source and observer. However, the speed of sound does affect the perceived pitch of the sound, as it determines the frequency of the sound waves.

4. How does the Doppler Effect apply to everyday situations?

The Doppler Effect can be observed in everyday situations, such as the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance or police car passes by. It is also applicable in the study of celestial objects, as the frequency of light waves from stars can be affected by their relative motion towards or away from Earth.

5. What is the difference between the Doppler Effect for sound and light?

The Doppler Effect for sound and light is similar in principle, as both are caused by relative motion between the source and observer. However, the main difference is that sound waves require a medium to travel, while light waves can travel through a vacuum. Additionally, the speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound, resulting in different perceived effects.