Doppler Effect of a blown whistle

In summary, the question is asking about the range of frequencies that a listener standing some distance away in the plane of rotation would hear when a whistle of frequency 500 Hz, tied to the end of a string of length 1.2 m, revolves at 400 rev/min. Using the Doppler effect, it can be determined that the frequencies heard would range from 436 Hz to 584 Hz.
lha08

Homework Statement

A whistle of frequency 500 Hz tied to the end of a string of length 1.2 m revolves at 400 rev/min. A listener standing some distance away in the plane of rotation hears frequencies in the range ____?
(speed of sound=340 m/s)
a) 436 to 586
b) 426 to 574
c) 426 to 584
d) 436 to 674

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to approach this particular problem...i'm lost especially for the units and what to do with the string...thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
when the whistle is moving in a horizontal circle, at two points on the circle the whistle is moving either towards the observer or away from him. Apply Doppler effect to find the frequencies.

rl.bhat said:
when the whistle is moving in a horizontal circle, at two points on the circle the whistle is moving either towards the observer or away from him. Apply Doppler effect to find the frequencies.

okay i understand that part, but how do i convert 400 rev/min and for the length of the string do i use C=2(pi)radius and solve for r?

Last edited:
Velocity v = 2*pi*n*r where n is the number revolution per second.

rl.bhat said:
Velocity v = 2*pi*n*r where n is the number revolution per second.

but how do i solve for the radius using the length of the string?

lha08 said:
but how do i solve for the radius using the length of the string?
Length of the string itself is the radius.

Related to Doppler Effect of a blown whistle

What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the source of the wave. This can be observed in various phenomena, such as the change in pitch of a siren as it passes by.

How does the Doppler Effect apply to a blown whistle?

When a whistle is blown, it creates sound waves that travel through the air. As the whistle moves towards an observer, the sound waves are compressed and have a higher frequency, resulting in a higher pitch. When the whistle moves away from an observer, the sound waves are stretched out and have a lower frequency, resulting in a lower pitch.

What factors affect the Doppler Effect of a blown whistle?

The speed of the whistle, the speed of the observer, and the speed of sound in the medium (usually air) all affect the Doppler Effect of a blown whistle. Additionally, the angle at which the sound waves are approaching the observer can also impact the perceived frequency and pitch.

How is the Doppler Effect used in real life?

The Doppler Effect has many practical applications, such as radar and sonar systems, which use the change in frequency of reflected waves to determine the speed and direction of moving objects. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound, to detect and measure blood flow.

Can the Doppler Effect be observed with other types of waves?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be observed with all types of waves, including light waves and water waves. In fact, the red shift and blue shift observed in astronomy are a result of the Doppler Effect, as objects moving away from or towards us will have their light waves stretched or compressed, respectively.