Doppler effect -- find the frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the Doppler effect in a scenario involving a bat equipped with a loudspeaker. The correct formula for the frequency ratio is 1.059 for a half-step, but there is a discrepancy between 21/12 and 21/12. Additionally, there is a debate about the correct formula to use for a moving observer versus a moving source. Ultimately, it is agreed that the loudspeaker is attached to the bat and a speed of 19m/s (or 20m/s) is determined for the bat's velocity.
jangchen
Homework Statement
An avant-garde composer wants to use the Doppler effect in his new opera. As the soprano sings, he wants a large bat to fly toward her from the back of the stage. The bat will be outfitted with a microphone to pick up the singer's voice and a loudspeaker to rebroadcast the sound toward the audience. The composer wants the sound the audience hears from the bat to be, in musical terms, one half-step higher in frequency than the note they are hearing from the singer. Two notes a half-step apart have a frequency ratio of 21/12 = 1.059. With what speed must the bat fly toward the singer?
Relevant Equations
f' = f×(c+v/c) , f''=f'×(c/c-v)
I don't know what is wrong

i think

when bat gets sound
f' = f×(c+v/c)

when audience hears
f''=f'×(c/c-v)

f''=f×1.059

but it is wrong TT

Physics news on Phys.org
jangchen said:
Two notes a half-step apart have a frequency ratio of 21/12 = 1.059.
21/12 does not equal 1.059. But I think the value of 1.059 is correct for the frequency ratio for a half-step. Did you mean to type 21/12 instead of 21/12?

when bat gets sound
f' = f×(c+v/c)

when audience hears
f''=f'×(c/c-v)

f''=f×1.059
Looks good so far, except your parentheses are not placed correctly.
You should have f' = f×(c+v)/c and similarly for f''.
You haven't shown your work for getting the answer for v.

In addition to what @TSny said, Keep in mind that this situation is for a moving observer (not moving source). Choose your formula accordingly. Once you've applied the Doppler effect for a moving observer you can stop there.

Since the loudspeaker is not moving toward the audience, there is no need to apply the Doppler effect a second time for a moving source.

Scratch that. I re-read the problem and the loudspeaker is attached to the bat. I missed that the first time. So yes, you need to apply the Doppler effect twice. Once for a moving observer, and again for a moving source.

[Edit: Btw, this sounds like a great opera.]

collinsmark said:
[Edit: Btw, this sounds like a great opera.]
:smile:

TSny said:
21/12 does not equal 1.059. But I think the value of 1.059 is correct for the frequency ratio for a half-step. Did you mean to type 21/12 instead of 21/12?

Oh not 21/12 but 21/12
The answer is 19m/s...
I tried what you taught.. but i got 9.97xxx m/s..

jangchen said:
Oh not 21/12 but 21/12
The answer is 19m/s...
Seems to me your answer is about right.

jangchen said:
Oh not 21/12 but 21/12
The answer is 19m/s...
Maybe @collinsmark 's original interpretation is what was intended. If you assume the loudspeaker is fixed on the stage instead of being carried by the bat (!), you will get an answer of about 20 m/s. (Not sure what you're using for a value of the speed of sound.)

Likes collinsmark
TSny said:
If you assume the loudspeaker is fixed on the stage instead of being carried by the bat
But it quite clearly states
jangchen said:
The bat will be outfitted with ... and a loudspeaker
(And we are told it is a large bat.)

haruspex said:
But it quite clearly states

(And we are told it is a large bat.)
Yes, I agree.

I really want to see this opera.

Related to Doppler effect -- find the frequency

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a relative motion between a sound source and an observer, causing a change in the frequency of the sound waves perceived by the observer.

2. How does the Doppler effect work?

The Doppler effect works by compressing sound waves when the source and observer are moving towards each other, resulting in an increase in frequency. When the source and observer are moving away from each other, the sound waves are stretched, resulting in a decrease in frequency.

3. How do you calculate the frequency of a sound wave using the Doppler effect?

To calculate the frequency of a sound wave using the Doppler effect, you will need to know the velocity of the source and the observer, as well as the speed of sound. The formula for calculating frequency is: observed frequency = emitted frequency x (speed of sound + velocity of observer) / (speed of sound + velocity of source).

4. What are some real-life examples of the Doppler effect in action?

The Doppler effect can be observed in many everyday situations, such as the changing pitch of a passing ambulance siren, the sound of a train horn as it approaches and then passes, and the shifting pitch of a car engine as it drives past you.

5. How does the Doppler effect impact astronomy?

The Doppler effect is crucial in astronomy as it allows scientists to determine the speed and direction of celestial objects, such as stars and galaxies. By analyzing the shift in frequency of light emitted from these objects, astronomers can determine if they are moving towards or away from Earth, and at what speed.