Don't want your kid learning about the evils of evolution? Move to Missouri

• News
  • Thread starter SixNein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, Amendment 2 in Missouri states that students cannot be forced to do anything against their religious beliefs, which includes not being forced to learn about evolution. Along with other religiously inspired text that was mostly already covered under existing law, this amendment leaves much to be desired. This is what happens when you let people with an improper education make decisions on education, as seen with this amendment. The clause that specifically states no student shall be compelled to perform or participate in academic assignments or educational presentations that violate his or her religious beliefs leaves much to be desired as well. Teachers will have a difficult time teaching classes without having to worry about religious bias creeping into the curriculum, and there will be an ever widening gap between the educated and the uneducated. This is
chemisttree said:
Dembadon said:
Do you really need to see a study that shows students who don't take science courses do poorly in science?
Strawman. OT.

Either I wasn't clear enough with my reasoning in previous posts, or I misunderstood what you were asking for. Since it's off-topic, I guess we'll have to leave it. Thank you for discussing this with me, though. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
chemisttree said:
I don't believe that someone in Missouri could just opt out of classes because evolution or the age of the Earth would be taught to be in conflict with religious beliefs.

...no student shall be compelled to perform or participate in academic assignments or educational presentations that violate his or her religious beliefs...

(From the link in the OP.)

Sounds like "opting out due to conflict" to me.

chemisttree said:
The Supreme Court has already ruled (Epperson vs. Arkansas) that the State may not require, "that teaching and learning must be tailored to the principles or prohibitions of any religious sect or dogma,"

But that says nothing about student involvement. The state law says that students may opt out. My fear is the chilling effect if a lot of students begin to opt out. Teachers may start trying to adjust their presentations to avoid the hassle. But they aren't required to change anything according to state law.

This is why the Missouri law specifically allows non-participation. Nothing special needs to be done. You also interpret the meaning of, "...that no student shall be compelled to perform or participate in academic assignments or educational presentations that violate his or her religious beliefs," to mean that a student could opt out of class... meaning not being physically present but that isn't clear by the statute.
The meaning of "participate in" may eventually be determined by lawsuit but it could reasonably be interpreted to mean that the student do no more than be passively present during any educational presentation; that meaning being determined by the school districts of course.

I concede that it could be interpreted that way; however, the ACLU has this take on it:

Providing all students a right to refrain from school assignments and presentations that violate their religious beliefs is a truly profound change in educational law. The Supreme Court has long held that “[a] school need not tolerate student speech that is inconsistent with its ‘basic educational mission,’ even though the government could not censor similar speech outside the school.” Providing this exemption will cause untold mischief in both public and parochial schools and will adversely affect the quality of education in Missouri.
http://www.aclukswmo.org/cases/page-cases-aclu-concerned-with-mo-amendment-2.php

Last edited:
The thread keeps running off topic, so it is closed.