Domain of a composite function

In summary, a composite function is a mathematical function that involves multiple nested functions, where the output of one function becomes the input of the next. To find the domain of a composite function, you must consider the domains of each individual function. The domain of a composite function can be undefined if one of the individual functions has an undefined domain. If all the individual functions have continuous domains, then the domain of the composite function will also be a continuous interval. The domain of a composite function can be represented in various ways, such as an interval or set of values.
songoku
TL;DR Summary
Let say I have f(x) = ##-x^2 + 3 , x \leq 0##. I want to find the domain of composite function ##ff^{-1}## and ##f^{-1} f##
##f(x)=-x^2 + 3## so ##f^{-1} (x)=- \sqrt{3-x} ~, x \leq 3##

##ff^{-1} = - (- \sqrt{3-x})^2 + 3 = x## and the domain will be ##x \leq 3##

##f^{-1} f = - \sqrt{3-(-x^2+3)} = -x ## and the domain will be ##x \leq 0##

My question:
##ff^{-1} (x)## or ##f^{-1} f(x) ## is not always equal to ##x## and their domain can be different?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Summary:: Let say I have f(x) = ##-x^2 + 3 , x \leq 0##. I want to find the domain of composite function ##ff^{-1}## and ##f^{-1} f##

##f(x)=-x^2 + 3## so ##f^{-1} (x)=- \sqrt{3-x} ~, x \leq 3##

##ff^{-1} = - (- \sqrt{3-x})^2 + 3 = x## and the domain will be ##x \leq 3##

##f^{-1} f = - \sqrt{3-(-x^2+3)} = -x ## and the domain will be ##x \leq 0##

My question:
##ff^{-1} (x)## or ##f^{-1} f(x) ## is not always equal to ##x## and their domain can be different?

Thanks
Here ##ff^{-1} (x)## and ##f^{-1} f(x) ## are equal (= x) on their common domain, which is ##x \le 0##. Outside that common domain, one or both of ##ff^{-1} (x)## and ##f^{-1} f(x) ## don't necessarily result in x.
For example, f(x) is defined at x = 1, but outside of the restricted domain of this problem.
##f^{-1}(f(1)) = f^{-1}(2) = -\sqrt{3 - 2} = -1 \ne 1##

Likes songoku
Mark44 said:
Here ##ff^{-1} (x)## and ##f^{-1} f(x) ## are equal (= x) on their common domain, which is ##x \le 0##.

I try using ##x=-6## which in their common domain.

##ff^{-1} (-6) = f(-3) = -6##

##f^{-1}f (-6) = f^{-1}(-33) = -6##

But from my working in post#1, ##f^{-1} f = - \sqrt{3-(-x^2+3)} = -x \rightarrow f^{-1} f(x) = -x##
So, ##f^{-1} f(-6) = - (-6) = 6## which is clearly wrong but I do not understand why. Is ##f^{-1} f(x) = -x## correct?

Outside that common domain, one or both of ##ff^{-1} (x)## and ##f^{-1} f(x) ## don't necessarily result in x.
For example, f(x) is defined at x = 1, but outside of the restricted domain of this problem.
##f^{-1}(f(1)) = f^{-1}(2) = -\sqrt{3 - 2} = -1 \ne 1##
I thought the domain of ##f^{-1} f(x)## is ##x \le 0## so we can not put ##x=1## to ##f^{-1} f(x)## because it is outside the allowed domain?

Thanks

songoku said:
I try using ##x=-6## which in their common domain.

##ff^{-1} (-6) = f(-3) = -6##

##f^{-1}f (-6) = f^{-1}(-33) = -6##

But from my working in post#1, ##f^{-1} f = - \sqrt{3-(-x^2+3)} = -x \rightarrow f^{-1} f(x) = -x##
The above should be ##f^{-1}( f(x))##
songoku said:
So, ##f^{-1} f(-6) = - (-6) = 6## which is clearly wrong
No, the correct result is in the work near the top of this post; namely ##f^{-1}(f (-6)) = f^{-1}(-33) = -6##
songoku said:
but I do not understand why. Is ##f^{-1} f(x) = -x## correct?
No. Keep in mind that the domain of f is ##x \le 0##.
##f^{-1}( f(x)) = f^{-1}(-x^2 + 3) = -\sqrt{3 + x^2 - 3} = -\sqrt{x^2} = -|x|##
But since ##x \le 0##, then |x| = -x, so -|x| = x.
Hence ##f^{-1}( f(x)) = x, which is the right result for the composition of a function and its inverse.
songoku said:
I thought the domain of ##f^{-1} f(x)## is ##x \le 0## so we can not put ##x=1## to ##f^{-1} f(x)## because it is outside the allowed domain?
I mentioned in my previous post that x = 1 was not in the restricted domain of f, but we could still do the calculation of ##f^{-1}( f(x))##.
[/quote]The above

Likes songoku
Mark44 said:
The above should be ##f^{-1}( f(x))##
You mean I should use bracket for "f(x)" part or maybe you have other purpose stating this part?

Hence ##f^{-1}( f(x)) = x##, which is the right result for the composition of a function and its inverse.
Actually I have note from teacher saying this exact thing: "the composition of a function and its inverse will always be equal to ##x##"

When I was practicing, I encounter problem on post#1 and I am confused why ##f(f^{-1}(x))## is ##x## but ##f^{-1}( f(x))## is ##-x##
You have explained that actually my working is wrong, both should be equal to ##x##

So the composition of a function and its inverse will always be equal to ##x##?

I mentioned in my previous post that x = 1 was not in the restricted domain of f, but we could still do the calculation of ##f^{-1}( f(x))##.

Oh, I thought we can only use value of ##x## in the restricted domain. Same as ##f(x)##, the domain is ##x \le 0## so I thought we can not put ##x > 0## into ##f(x)##

If I want to draw the graph of ##f(f^{-1}(x))##, should I just draw ##y=x## that extends from ##(-\infty , \infty)## or I draw ##y=x## that extends only from ##(-\infty , 3]## ?

Thanks

songoku said:
You mean I should use bracket for "f(x)" part or maybe you have other purpose stating this part?
Yes, because ##f^{-1]f## could be mistaken for the product rather than the composition of the two functions.
songoku said:
Actually I have note from teacher saying this exact thing: "the composition of a function and its inverse will always be equal to ##x##"

When I was practicing, I encounter problem on post#1 and I am confused why ##f(f^{-1}(x))## is ##x## but ##f^{-1}( f(x))## is ##-x##
You have explained that actually my working is wrong, both should be equal to ##x##

So the composition of a function and its inverse will always be equal to ##x##?
Yes, but only on their shared domain.
songoku said:
Oh, I thought we can only use value of ##x## in the restricted domain. Same as ##f(x)##, the domain is ##x \le 0## so I thought we can not put ##x > 0## into ##f(x)##

If I want to draw the graph of ##f(f^{-1}(x))##, should I just draw ##y=x## that extends from ##(-\infty , \infty)## or I draw ##y=x## that extends only from ##(-\infty , 3]## ?
For the functions of this problem, only the part of the line y = x that's in the third quadrant; i.e., for ##x \in (-\infty, 0]##.

Likes songoku
Mark44 said:
For the functions of this problem, only the part of the line y = x that's in the third quadrant; i.e., for ##x \in (-\infty, 0]##.
Sorry I don't understand why it should be only the 3rd quadrant part

Is ##x \le 3## the correct domain for ##f(f^{-1}(x))## ?

songoku said:
Sorry I don't understand why it should be only the 3rd quadrant part

Is ##x \le 3## the correct domain for ##f(f^{-1}(x))## ?
For that composition, yes, but for ##f(f^{-1}(x))## to be equal to ##f^{-1}(f(x))##, we need the domain that both functions share: ##x \in (-\infty, 0]##. On that interval, the line y = x is in only the 3rd quadrant.

Likes songoku
Mark44 said:
For that composition, yes, but for ##f(f^{-1}(x))## to be equal to ##f^{-1}(f(x))##, we need the domain that both functions share: ##x \in (-\infty, 0]##. On that interval, the line y = x is in only the 3rd quadrant.
So if I only want to draw graph of ##f(f^{-1}(x))##, I still have to take the domain of ##f^{-1}(f(x))## into consideration? I can not just consider only domain of ##f(f^{-1}(x))## eventhough that is the graph I want to draw?

Thanks

songoku said:
So if I only want to draw graph of ##f(f^{-1}(x))##, I still have to take the domain of ##f^{-1}(f(x))## into consideration?
No, that would be the line y = x, for ##x \in (-\infty, 3]##. For the graph of the other composition, ##y =(f^{-1}(f(x))##, that would be the same line, but for ##x \in (-\infty, 0]##.
What I said was for both compositions to be equal, we have to be using the common domain, ##x \in (-\infty, 0]##.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
I suppose all the ##\infty## is typo, should be ##-\infty## instead.

Thank you very much for all the explanation Mark44

Last edited by a moderator:
songoku said:
I suppose all the ##\infty## is typo, should be ##-\infty## instead.

Thank you very much for all the explanation Mark44
Yes, I neglected to add the minus sign. I've edited my post to correct them.

What is a composite function?

A composite function is a mathematical function that is formed by combining two or more functions. It is denoted by f(g(x)), where f and g are individual functions.

How do you find the domain of a composite function?

To find the domain of a composite function, you need to consider the domains of the individual functions involved. The domain of the composite function will be the set of all values of the independent variable that are allowed by both functions.

Can the domain of a composite function be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the domain of a composite function to be empty. This can happen if the individual functions have non-overlapping domains, or if the composition of the functions results in a mathematical expression that is undefined for all values of the independent variable.

What happens to the domain of a composite function if one of the individual functions is undefined?

If one of the individual functions in a composite function is undefined for a certain value of the independent variable, then that value is not included in the domain of the composite function. The domain will only include values that are allowed by all the individual functions.

Can the domain of a composite function be larger than the domains of the individual functions?

Yes, it is possible for the domain of a composite function to be larger than the domains of the individual functions. This can happen if the composition of the functions results in a mathematical expression that is defined for values outside the domains of the individual functions.