Doing minor in English for engineers.

In summary, it sounds like a minor in English would be a great idea for you, especially if you plan to work in engineering.
a_man
Is it worth doing minor in English.
To be honest, my gpa is low, and I am looking into grad school once I finish my bachelor.

But I think having English minor would help me to get a job better than others.

I really do not know what to do. I want do something extra than my classmates. (We are kind compenting each otehr for a coop job)

Physics news on Phys.org
please say something !

a_man said:
Is it worth doing minor in English.
To be honest, my gpa is low, and I am looking into grad school once I finish my bachelor.

But I think having English minor would help me to get a job better than others.

I really do not know what to do. I want do something extra than my classmates. (We are kind compenting each otehr for a coop job)
A minor in English is always a good idea! Although since you are talking about engineering, rather than a more abstract field like math or physics, I would think you would be better off working in your field for a while rather than going directly to graduate school.

(I misunderstood your title at first. I was thinking "do they have a minor in "English for Engineers?")

A minor in English is a wonderful idea for an engineer-to-be, especially with a concentration on writing. So many engineers have weak technical writing skills, it's scary. Documentation written entirely in the passive sense with ill-defined jargon, numbers and bullet-points in lieu of actual structure... it can get ugly.

turbo-1 said:
A minor in English is a wonderful idea for an engineer-to-be, especially with a concentration on writing. So many engineers have weak technical writing skills, it's scary. Documentation written entirely in the passive sense with ill-defined jargon, numbers and bullet-points in lieu of actual structure... it can get ugly.

On a related note, philosophy is actually very much about precise technical writing. Any humanities will add to an engineer's resume on the job market though (but grad schools probably won't care).

Related to Doing minor in English for engineers.

1. What is the purpose of doing a minor in English for engineers?

A minor in English for engineers is designed to provide engineering students with a strong foundation in written and oral communication skills. This is essential in the field of engineering as clear and effective communication is crucial for success in research, teamwork, and project management.

2. What courses are typically included in a minor in English for engineers?

The courses included in a minor in English for engineers may vary depending on the university, but typically include courses in technical writing, communication for engineers, and professional communication. Some programs may also offer electives in creative writing or literature.

3. How will a minor in English benefit me as an engineer?

A minor in English can provide engineers with the skills and knowledge needed to effectively communicate their ideas, designs, and solutions to a wide range of audiences. This can help engineers to present their work more clearly and professionally, and to collaborate more effectively with colleagues and clients.

4. Can I do a minor in English for engineers if I am not a native English speaker?

Yes, a minor in English for engineers is beneficial for both native and non-native English speakers. The courses are designed to help students improve their language skills and develop a better understanding of technical terminology and communication styles used in engineering fields.

5. Are there any prerequisites for a minor in English for engineers?

The prerequisites for a minor in English for engineers may vary depending on the university and program. Some may require a certain level of proficiency in English, while others may have no specific prerequisites. It is best to check with your university or program for specific requirements.