Civil to Biomedical engineering?

In summary, the person is a junior studying civil engineering and is considering pursuing a graduate program in biomedical engineering. They have read that an electrical engineering degree is the best for a BME program, but they prefer to stick with civil engineering. They are wondering if they can still get into a BME grad program with a civil engineering degree and if they would be at a disadvantage compared to someone with an EE or ME degree.
Mddrill
Hi, I am a junior studying civil engineering. I am wondering if I could get into a biomedical engineering graduate program with a civil engineering bachelor's. I've read online that EE is the best bachelors degree to get into a BME grad program, but I would rather stay with civil because I am pretty sure it would take longer to graduate if I transferred to EE. Could I get into a BME grad program with a civil engineering degree? would I be at a disadvantage vs someone with a EE or ME degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mddrill said:
Hi, I am a junior studying civil engineering. I am wondering if I could get into a biomedical engineering graduate program with a civil engineering bachelor's. I've read online that EE is the best bachelors degree to get into a BME grad program, but I would rather stay with civil because I am pretty sure it would take longer to graduate if I transferred to EE. Could I get into a BME grad program with a civil engineering degree? would I be at a disadvantage vs someone with a EE or ME degree?

You would be at a disadvantage to anyone with a bio-medical engineering degree, why not change majors to what you want to go to graduate school for?

1. What is the difference between civil and biomedical engineering?

Civil engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of large-scale infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and buildings. Biomedical engineering, on the other hand, focuses on applying engineering principles and techniques to the field of medicine, including the development of medical devices and technologies.

2. Can a civil engineer work in the field of biomedical engineering?

While civil engineering and biomedical engineering are separate disciplines, there is some overlap in their skill sets. A civil engineer may be able to work in the field of biomedical engineering, but they may need additional training or education to fully transition into this field.

3. What are some career opportunities for someone with a background in civil engineering and biomedical engineering?

Individuals with a background in both civil and biomedical engineering may have career opportunities in areas such as medical device design, healthcare facility design and construction, and tissue engineering.

4. How do civil and biomedical engineering collaborate in the real world?

Civil and biomedical engineers often work together on projects that involve the design and construction of medical facilities such as hospitals and clinics. They may also collaborate on projects related to medical device development and research.

5. What skills are important for someone pursuing a career in both civil and biomedical engineering?

Some important skills for a career in both civil and biomedical engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and strong communication skills. It is also important to have a strong understanding of engineering principles and the ability to apply them to different industries and projects.