Does there exists a quadratic function for every parabola?

In summary: It has the following properties:The axis of symmetry is the line segment connecting the two points of the chain at the same height.The length of the chord between the two points is the same at every point.The curve touches the ground at only two points, the points of suspension.
ritwik06
SOLVED

Homework Statement

While going through a question, I came across a function [tex]f(x)=5^{x}+5^{-x}[/tex]
I saw its graph through a software. It was a parabola with minimum value 2.

Now a question arises in my mind.
Every function of the type [tex]g(x)=ax^{2}+bx+c[/tex] is a parabola.
Can I assume the corollary to be true, that is for every parabola, there exists a quadratic function??
If yes, how may I find the coefficients a,b,c such that f(x)=g(x) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

There is only one thing that I see-
[tex]\frac{-\Delta}{4a}=2[/tex]

Can this be solved?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

3. The Attempt at a Solution
For f(x)
if x=0, f(x)=2
if x=1, f(x)=5.2
if x=-1, f(x)=5.2
And if I use these equations to solve for the quadratics to solve for a,b,c the coefficients of g(x), I find that a=3.2, b=0, c=2.
which makes [tex]g(x)=3.2x^{2}+2[/tex] But the graph for this does not exactly coincide with f(x). Why??
Somebody Please help me.

Last edited:

Th graph of

[tex]
5^x + 5^{-x}
[/tex]

is not exactly a parabola, so your attempt simply gives an approximation of this function and its graph, but will not duplicate it.

statdad said:
Th graph of

[tex]
5^x + 5^{-x}
[/tex]

is not exactly a parabola, so your attempt simply gives an approximation of this function and its graph, but will not duplicate it.

What is the definition of parabola?

A parabola is the graph of a function that has the form

[tex]
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
[/tex]

If you graph

[tex]
x = ay^2 + by + c
[/tex]

you get a parabola shape, but this is not a function.

The equation you encountered (and its graph) are a form of a catenary . The classical equation for this graph involves the hyperbolic cosine ([tex] \cosh [/tex]), or exponentials base [tex] e [/tex], but the form you give works as well. A catenary can be loosely described as the shape a hanging chain takes (or the graph of power lines between towers).

Related to Does there exists a quadratic function for every parabola?

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a mathematical function that can be written in the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. This function creates a curved line called a parabola when graphed.

2. Can any parabola be represented by a quadratic function?

Yes, every parabola can be represented by a quadratic function. This is because the general form of a quadratic function, f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, allows for the flexibility to fit any parabola on a graph.

3. How do you determine the quadratic function of a given parabola?

To determine the quadratic function of a given parabola, you need to know at least three points on the parabola. Using these points, you can create a system of equations and solve for the constants a, b, and c in the general form of a quadratic function, f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c. Alternatively, you can use the vertex form of a quadratic function, f(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola.

4. Are there any parabolas that cannot be represented by a quadratic function?

No, all parabolas can be represented by a quadratic function. However, there are other types of functions, such as exponential or logarithmic functions, that can also create a curved line similar to a parabola. These functions may be better suited for certain types of data or phenomena.

5. Can a quadratic function represent a non-vertical line?

No, a quadratic function can only represent a curved line, or parabola. If the coefficient of x is non-zero, the graph of a quadratic function will always be a parabola. If the coefficient of x is zero, the function will be a linear function, which can represent a non-vertical line.