Does the magnetic force affect lateral movement of a magnet on a metal plate?

• Thread starter gloo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, according to a magnet manufacturing site, the force required to move a magnet that is attracted to a metal plate laterally away from underneath a magnet is minimal relative to the force required to move it away from the magnet directly away in the opposite direction of pulling force. Assuming the magnets are close but not touching (thus no frictional force between the magnet surface and the metal plate surface), how true is it that the force to move the plate away from the magnet laterally by sliding it left or right (i.e. - the pull force of magnet is up or down) is not really affected by the magnetic force?
gloo
According to a magnet manufacturing site, the force required to move a magnet that is attracted to a metal plate laterally away from underneath a magnet is minimal relative to the force required to move it away from the magnet directly away in the opposite direction of pulling force. Assuming the magnets are close but not touching (thus no frictional force between the magnet surface and the metal plate surface), how true is it that the force to move the plate away from the magnet laterally by sliding it left or right (i.e. - the pull force of magnet is up or down) is not really affected by the magnetic force?

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=magnetic-forces

"With a magnet attracting towards a steel plate, there is no lateral force. That’s right, the magnetic force only pulls straight towards the plate, normal to the surface."

Engineering news on Phys.org
gloo said:
According to a magnet manufacturing site, the force required to move a magnet that is attracted to a metal plate laterally away from underneath a magnet is minimal relative to the force required to move it away from the magnet directly away in the opposite direction of pulling force. Assuming the magnets are close but not touching (thus no frictional force between the magnet surface and the metal plate surface), how true is it that the force to move the plate away from the magnet laterally by sliding it left or right (i.e. - the pull force of magnet is up or down) is not really affected by the magnetic force?
You've changed the parameters from the start of you paragraph to the end, from "minimal" to "not really affected". Why is that?

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=magnetic-forces

"With a magnet attracting towards a steel plate, there is no lateral force. That’s right, the magnetic force only pulls straight towards the plate, normal to the surface."
The title of your thread implies a magnet in lateral motion, I believe your bolded comment is for a stationary magnet, somewhat centered on a plate.
If the magnet were positioned at the edge of a plate, there would be a lateral force on a stationary magnet.
There will also be a lateral force if the magnet is moving laterally.

OmCheeto said:
You've changed the parameters from the start of you paragraph to the end, from "minimal" to "not really affected". Why is that?

All I am trying to say or ask is whether the magnetic pull force have any kind of interference on the effort to pull the steel plate laterally .

The title of your thread implies a magnet in lateral motion, I believe your bolded comment is for a stationary magnet, somewhat centered on a plate.
If the magnet were positioned at the edge of a plate, there would be a lateral force on a stationary magnet.
There will also be a lateral force if the magnet is moving laterally.

For instance...if the magnet is facing upward and pulling downward on the steelplate -- if I pull away the steel plate to the side (left or right) so that the force applied is perpendicular to the direction of the magnet's pull force, is the effort greater than without a magnetic force? I am assuming that the magnets are not touch and thus there is no frictional force between the surfaces of the magnet and the steel plate (just assume there is some magic material between them that prevents touching and is fricitonless)

gloo said:
For instance...if the magnet is facing upward and pulling downward on the steelplate -- if I pull away the steel plate to the side (left or right) so that the force applied is perpendicular to the direction of the magnet's pull force, is the effort greater than without a magnetic force?
Yes

OmCheeto said:
Yes
So the upward pulling force of the magnet adds impediments obviously what I am asking is for some kind of guide as to how - my guesses are:

1. I assumed away friction forces of the surfaces touching - maybe the friction on whatever contraption I use to prevent the surfaces touching?

2. Some parts of the magnetic field that does not involve a force that is vertical will interfere?

gloo said:
So the upward pulling force of the magnet adds impediments obviously what I am asking is for some kind of guide as to how - my guesses are:

1. I assumed away friction forces of the surfaces touching - maybe the friction on whatever contraption I use to prevent the surfaces touching?
Just go "textbook", and say there is no friction. Problem solved!
2. Some parts of the magnetic field that does not involve a force that is vertical will interfere?
If the magnet is moving laterally in relation to the steel plate, the changing magnetic field in the plate will induce an electrical current, which will generate a counteractive magnetic field, which will impede the lateral motion of the magnet.

This can be seen experimentally on the following video from between t=0:56 to t=1:23.

Related to Does the magnetic force affect lateral movement of a magnet on a metal plate?

1. How does laterally moving a magnet affect its magnetic field?

Moving a magnet laterally does not affect its magnetic field strength. It only changes the direction of the magnetic field lines.

2. Can laterally moving a magnet create a stronger magnetic field?

No, laterally moving a magnet does not change the strength of its magnetic field. The field strength is determined by the magnet's size, shape, and material.

3. Is there a maximum distance that a magnet can be laterally moved and still maintain its magnetic properties?

As long as the magnet is not damaged or demagnetized, it can be laterally moved any distance and still maintain its magnetic properties.

4. Does the direction of lateral movement affect the magnet's magnetic field?

Yes, the direction of lateral movement can affect the direction of the magnetic field lines. Moving the magnet towards or away from another magnetic object can also influence the field.

5. How does laterally moving a magnet compare to rotating a magnet in terms of its effect on the magnetic field?

Laterally moving a magnet and rotating a magnet both change the direction of the magnetic field lines. However, rotating a magnet also causes the magnetic field to change in strength and orientation.