Moving magnetized objects apart

• Thread starter gloo
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible to induce an electrical current in a steel plate to reduce its attraction to a magnet, but this may result in a permanent reduction of magnetism for the plate. The B-H hysteresis curve of the magnetic material and the amount of current used can affect the extent of the reduction. However, it is not possible to create energy by turning a permanent magnet on and off, regardless of the method used. Magnetic chucks may also be a useful solution for reducing the clamping between a magnet and a held object.
gloo
I want to move a steel object/plate away from a magnet - Here is my questions:

1. Can I induce an electrical current to a steel plate just large enough to allow me to pull the plate away without much attraction to a magnet? So I guess it would kind of being like the reverse of turning on an electromagnet?

2. If this can be done...will it result in some kind of permanent reduction of magnetism for the steel plate if done repeatedly?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not certain what you are trying to do. Have you looked at magnetic chucks? They are devices that use variable air gaps to reduce the clamping between the chuck and the part being held.

For 1) the answer is yes. Just coil windings about the magnet and drive a current sufficient to null or reduce the field.
For 2) I think this depends on the B-H hysteresis curve of the magnetic material and how far along this curve the induced field goes.

Paul Colby said:
I'm not certain what you are trying to do. Have you looked at magnetic chucks? They are devices that use variable air gaps to reduce the clamping between the chuck and the part being held.

For 1) the answer is yes. Just coil windings about the magnet and drive a current sufficient to null or reduce the field.
For 2) I think this depends on the B-H hysteresis curve of the magnetic material and how far along this curve the induced field goes.

I am just trying to imagine a way for magnets to do work on an object -- hoping to maybe patent something but I am not very well versed on the deep workings of how magnets work.

-- in response to your answer # 1 -- I don't want to neutralize the magnet but the steel plate that is attracted to --- I am assuming yes?

-- in response to # 2 -- does the B-H hysteresis factor a function of how large the electric current is that is used to reduce the magnetism of the plate?

gloo said:
I am just trying to imagine a way for magnets to do work on an object

Magnets do work on objects through a number of ways. There is the ##dW=F\cdot ds## mechanical work. Then there is the energy term ##\int{B\cdot H dx^3}## which is the energy stored in the magnetic field. Typically ##H(B)## is a multi-valued function so as ##B## is changed work is done heating the object in proportion to the area enclosed in the ##B##-##H## curve. If you are trying to get help on something you feel is proprietary best of luck. I likely can't help.

What exactly are you trying to do? You can't make energy by somehow turning a permanent magnet on and off. It doesn't mater if you try to use coil or some sort of moving shield to turn off the magnet.

Related to Moving magnetized objects apart

1. What causes objects to become magnetized?

Objects become magnetized when their atoms are aligned in a specific direction, creating a magnetic field. This can occur through exposure to a magnetic field or through the flow of electricity.

2. How can I move two magnetized objects apart?

The best way to move two magnetized objects apart is by using a non-magnetic tool, such as a plastic or wooden rod, to physically separate them. This will prevent the objects from sticking to each other due to their magnetic fields.

3. What happens when two magnetized objects are brought together?

If the two objects have opposite magnetic poles (north and south), they will attract each other and stick together. However, if they have the same magnetic pole (both north or both south), they will repel each other and push away.

4. Can two objects with different strengths of magnetism be separated?

Yes, two objects with different strengths of magnetism can be separated. The stronger magnetic field will dominate and attract or repel the weaker one, depending on their poles.

5. Can the magnetism of an object be permanently removed?

Yes, the magnetism of an object can be permanently removed through a process called demagnetization. This can be done by exposing the object to a strong magnetic field in the opposite direction, or by heating the object above its Curie temperature (the temperature at which it loses its magnetic properties).