Does the Integral of Sin(x) Diverge as x Approaches Infinity?

• Thread starter bazingga123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a limit for a function G(x) as x tends to 1 and provides a proof for the divergence of the integral sinx dx from 2 pi to infinity using this definition. The proof involves showing that there exists an epsilon > 0 and x > M such that |G(x) - L| >= epsilon, indicating that the limit does not exist. The negation of the limit definition is also discussed and applied to the power series of cos(x) to show that the integral diverges.
bazingga123

Homework Statement

Recall that a function G(x) has the limit L as x tends to 1, written
lim as x -> infinity
G(x) = L,
if for any epsilon > 0, there exists M > 0 so that if x > M , then
|G(x) L| < epsilon.
This means that the limit of G(x) as x tends to 1 does not exist if for
any L and positive M, there exists epsilon > 0 so that for some x > M ,
|G(x) L| >= epsilon.
Using this definition, prove that

integral sinx dx from 2 pi to infinity diverges.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

currently i just have no idea how to start this question up.
knowing that the integral is equals to -cos x + C, while cosine value is bouncing between -1 and 1, how do i start the proof using that definition

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I just saw this question on Yahoo Answers lol

Use the fact that certain multiples of x will give -1 and others will give 1 for x>M, thus you can't pick an arbitrary epsilon>0. That is, you can't get as close as you like to a limit L for all values x>M.

Arcana Noir is referring to the fact that [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= L[/itex] if and only if [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}f(x_n)= L[/itex] for every sequence [itex]\{a_n\}[/itex] such that [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n= a[/itex].

Look at [itex]a_n= n\pi[/itex] and [itex]a_n= (2n+1)\pi/2[/itex].

Thank you for clarifying that, HallsofIvy, I only just learned this sort of thing this week, and only in terms of a sequence. I have the ideas but not the technical form yet.
The phrase "as close as you like to L" I picked up back in calc I, and have always preferred it conceptually to "an arbitrary epsilon >0".

Last edited:
bazingga123 said:
This means that the limit of G(x) as x tends to 1 does not exist if for
any L and positive M, there exists epsilon > 0 so that for some x > M ,
|G(x) L| >= epsilon.

I think also we need to be a bit more careful with our definition of a limit and its negation.

To say that a function G does not have ANY limit L as x tends towards infinity means that (1) for all L (2) there exists an [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] such that (3) for all [itex]M>0[/itex] (4) there exists an x in the domain so that

[tex] x>M[/tex] and [tex] |G(x)-L|\geq \epsilon.[/tex]

Notice the sequence of quantifiers: (1) for all, (2) there exists, (3) for all, (4) there exists. This sequence is very important and if you change it the definition falls apart. Remember that the negation of [itex] \forall[/itex] is [itex] \exists[/itex] and the negation of [itex] \exists[/itex] is [itex] \forall[/itex].

The integral is -cos x evaluated from 2π to ∞. In other words, it's:

-cos(2π) + lim cos(r) as r approaches ∞.
=-1+cos(∞)

But cos(∞) is equal to the limit of cos(1/x) as x approaches 0. Make a power series for cos(x) and replace all the terms with 1/x and you'll see clearly that it diverges. Then you can apply your limit definition on the power series and show that it's impossible.

Moderator's note:

Now that the OP has received several hints, please give bazingga123 a chance to work on the problem and reply before offering further help.

Related to Does the Integral of Sin(x) Diverge as x Approaches Infinity?

1. What is the definition of divergence in terms of cosine?

Divergence in terms of cosine refers to the behavior of the cosine function as the input (x) approaches infinity or negative infinity. If the cosine function does not approach a specific value or oscillates infinitely, it is said to diverge.

2. How can we prove that cos x diverges?

One way to prove that cos x diverges is by using the definition of divergence and showing that the limit as x approaches infinity or negative infinity does not exist or is infinite. This can be done through mathematical manipulation and the use of limit laws.

3. Can we use the graph of cos x to prove its divergence?

While the graph of cos x can provide visual evidence of divergence, it cannot be used as a proof. A mathematical proof using limit laws and the definition of divergence is necessary to formally prove that cos x diverges.

4. Are there any other methods to prove that cos x diverges?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove that cos x diverges. These include using the squeeze theorem, the Cauchy criterion, and the comparison test. Each of these methods involves specific mathematical techniques and manipulations.

5. Is it possible for cos x to converge instead of diverging?

Yes, it is possible for cos x to converge. This occurs when the input (x) approaches values that are not infinitely large or small. For example, the cosine function converges when x approaches 0, as the function approaches the value of 1. This is known as a finite limit and is a form of convergence.