Does IQ Increase More at 18 or 25+ Years Old?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of whether IQ scores increase with age or not. The definition of IQ is questioned, and it is mentioned that cognitive capabilities and social expectations play a role in determining intelligence. Some people believe that IQ can be increased through methods like taking Depakote, but others argue that it may not have a significant effect. Personal experiences and the importance of experience and knowledge in increasing intelligence are also mentioned. The conversation ends with the idea that true intelligence could be measured by one's ability to learn something completely new.
jake2007
do you think your iq is higher when you're 25 or older compared to when you're in your late teens?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to better define what you mean by IQ for this question. Could you please offer a quantitative definition of IQ for this thread to address? And I don't mean the simplistic definition of intellectual age divided by biological age, obviously.

well i mean overall intelligence but not neccessarily knowledge. does the brain still grow after late teens?

Interesting question. I haven't taken any IQ tests since high school, but I'm definitely smarter (IMO). I wonder if a google or wikipedia search would have data about raw IQ test scores versus age...?

Cognitive capabilities definitely increase as you grow up - I mean, an adult is usually more clever than a kid...
But if you are asking about the quantity of the IQ as defined by the tests - yea, tests are designed so that a kid with the same result as an adult gets more IQ points and there is some sort of correspondency between both. I suppose it looks like a curve when on a graph.

i thought age wasn't a factor in iq scoring past age 16? I am basicly just asking how the average 18 yearold would compare against someone 25 or older considering iq.

Same person. Same IQ score +- the margin of error.

IQ is innate.

Your IQ can change according to your circumstances. For example, GIs in Vietnam returned with higher IQs than they left with. It is thought that the pressure to survive was the cause. Also, it depends upon what you mean by IQ.

However, at some point our bodies begin the inevitable slide towards death and our brain cells suffer the ravages of time.

Maybe they tested higher, but their IQ did not change. Was it within one standard deviation?

There is work being done for cognitive enhancement (the only thing on the market right now that shows an increase in IQ is Depakote - by ten points; less than a deviation) and with the Singularity nearing, there will be more work in this area.

i read somewhere that some anti-depressants like prozac cause neurogenesis, does this have any effect on iq?

The closer you are to achieving a college or graduate degree, the higher your intelligence level will be estimated. This means younger adults are more likely to achieve higher IQ scores since they're overrepresented in this population. It also means that, if you're between the ages of 18-30, your competition is stiffer. You'll have to be faster, more knowledgeable, and think more abstractly than someone who's older.

Imagine a returning-to-school forty-something who just got his Ph.D. His raw score will likely be higher than someone else in his age category and, therefore, his IQ score will be a few or more points higher.

Eph said:
Maybe they tested higher, but their IQ did not change. Was it within one standard deviation?

There is work being done for cognitive enhancement (the only thing on the market right now that shows an increase in IQ is Depakote - by ten points; less than a deviation) and with the Singularity nearing, there will be more work in this area.

Anticonvulsants, including Depakote, are neurotoxic. They LOWER IQ. All of the stuff you hear about Depakote and Lithium regrowing brain cells is absolutely, 100% bunk. Educate yourself before you make such fallacious statements. http://adhocinfinitum.livejournal.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I always find it funny when people put such importance on an IQ score, apart from its questionable methodology, it's a score which was originally conceived of as a measure mental retardation.

jake2007 said:
do you think your iq is higher when you're 25 or older compared to when you're in your late teens?
Without a doubt I'm far more intelligent at 27 than I was at 18. And I don't just mean that I know more, I mean that I have a better approach to solving problems. But the most dramatic (for me) change has been in my social skills. I'm able to sympathize and get along with other people in a way I never thought would be possible.

A lot of the things that we call IQ can be learned and taught. To a certain extent, I think it has as much to do with social expectations as it does with some abstract quality we might call "intelligence."

Some people I know with high IQ scores are incredibly dumb.

I do think that there is an aspect of intelligence that is innate. That's obvious if you meet a person who has a mental disability. But, beyond that, intelligence is contextual, based mostly on social and cultural ideals of what constitutes intelligence... and very hard to quantify objectively in a single number.

JoeDawg said:
I always find it funny when people put such importance on an IQ score, apart from its questionable methodology, it's a score which was originally conceived of as a measure mental retardation.

Well, anybody who thinks they're going to raise their IQ with Depakote is in for a nasty surprise.

I don't know, at 18 I was pretty smart. I wouldn't say I'm smarter now (24) though now I know :
Methods to increase my learning rate
Structured critiques of problems for ease of solving
More articulate vocabulary
Greater depth of knowledge, thus leading to greater correlations between events, leading to an increase in learning and problem solving speeds
And so forth;

All of the things that make me feel "smarter" now I don't feel have to do with intelligence, but rather experience. What you learn makes learning easier, but your original capacity I believe remains the same.

I think the test would be to come up with some subject that is completely new and uncorrelated with anything anyone can already know. That way past experience and methodologies don't have an effect on the speed it takes you to learn it. Unfortunately I can't think of any topics that could actually do that.

IQ tests have many questions which rely on logic abilities. If you take engineering in college (much of engineering is based on logic skills), your logic skills will improve as will your IQ scores.

IQ can rise and fall very slightly within one's lifetime. Typically the more one uses the brain for finding the solution to difficult problems, the higher the IQ is. (thus, quantity of brain usage has a positive correlation to quality of thoughts and IQ). For instance, a student planning on being an artist will most likely have a higher IQ in school than 10 years later at work. It is difficult to use the ages of 18 and 25 because 25 year olds can still be in school, which would probably lead to a higher IQ, or a 25 year old could have been a manager at McDonalds for years. Then again, some people don't get much out of school for whatever reasons. IQ, of course, is on an individual basis, so that is a difficult question to answer.

Related to Does IQ Increase More at 18 or 25+ Years Old?

1. What does it mean to have an 18 vs 25+ IQ increase?

Having an 18 vs 25+ IQ increase means that your IQ score has improved by either 18 points or 25 or more points, compared to a previous IQ test. This indicates a significant improvement in cognitive abilities and overall intelligence.

2. How is IQ increase measured?

IQ increase is measured by administering standardized IQ tests, which assess various cognitive abilities such as problem-solving, memory, and spatial reasoning. The difference between the previous and current IQ scores determines the amount of increase.

3. Is it possible to increase IQ by 25 or more points?

Yes, it is possible to increase IQ by 25 or more points with the right strategies and training. However, the amount of increase may vary depending on individual factors such as age, education, and genetics.

4. What are some ways to increase IQ?

There are various ways to increase IQ, including engaging in challenging cognitive activities such as puzzles and games, improving memory and focus through techniques like meditation and brain training, and continuous learning and education.

5. Can IQ increase be permanent?

Yes, IQ increase can be permanent if the individual continues to engage in activities that stimulate the brain and improve cognitive abilities. However, if the individual stops engaging in these activities, the IQ may decrease over time.