Do You Have Experience With AMD 64bit CPUs?

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary, a conversation discussing the use of 64-bit processors for Windows and Linux operating systems was held. The individuals mentioned their experience with different processors and the benefits of using a 64-bit processor for Linux. The conversation also touched on the topic of upgrading operating systems and the current state of 64-bit technology. It was concluded that investing in an AMD 64-bit processor may not be the best choice at the moment.
maverick280857
Hi

Does anyone here have experience of using an AMD 64bit cpu-based computer?

Cheers
Vivek

Computer science news on Phys.org
i'm using intel celeron 2.4GHz.
slow compared to duron

A friend of mine recently got an AMD 64bit 3200. If your a windows user, don't even bother getting a 64bit processor. The only place where I see a use for 64bit processors is if your running linux.

----

The reason the celeron is slow is because it barely has any onboard cache.

I use Windows and Linux both. Thanks for the input.

Relating to Windows Operating systems;

Why wouldn't purchase of a 64-bit system be a 'forward looking' choice?
MS had provided a free trial download of WinXP to be used with the 64-bit AMD systems (I don't know whether it is still available). 32-bits is definitely an improvement over the older 16-bit systems and 64-bits ought to be better still. Even if all your programs remain 32-bit the OS itself would be humming along nicely, wouldn't it?
Later, as 64-bit programs become availble, you're not stuck with 'outdated' 32-bit technology. Is anything wrong with this thinking?

BoulderHead said:
Later, as 64-bit programs become availble, you're not stuck with 'outdated' 32-bit technology. Is anything wrong with this thinking?
Just that last bit. Very, very few people upgrade their OS on an existing computer. I'm a computer geek and I've only done it once - and on a computer that wasn't my choice to have anyway.

heres a nice artical on the AMD 64bit procs

http://www.devx.com/amd/Article/17962

Opteron and Athlon 64 - not just 64-bit

dduardo said:
A friend of mine recently got an AMD 64bit 3200. If your a windows user, don't even bother getting a 64bit processor. The only place where I see a use for 64bit processors is if your running linux.
AMD's 64-bit processors also have low memory latency due to their onboard memory controllers.

The reason the celeron is slow is because it barely has any onboard cache.
AMD's only chips with more than 512k L2 cache are 64 bit. Also, one reason cache enhances performance is the reduction in memory latency it provides (when cache hits are correctly predicted), and AMD's 64-bit processors have - again, due to their onboard memory controllers - about half the non-cache memory latency of AMD's Athlon chips.

Just that last bit. Very, very few people upgrade their OS on an existing computer. I'm a computer geek and I've only done it once - and on a computer that wasn't my choice to have anyway.

It doesn't mean you can't though. If Windows were to come out with a 64-bit version soon, you could simply upgrade your software.

Right now the 64-bit isn't at the top of it's game. For it to actually run like a 64-bit, Microsoft would have to pullout a new OS and any program would have to be designed for the 64. It's not worth it right now. It needs time.

So, the comclusion is "do not invest in AMD 64 bit", Athlon XP or P4 is the best choice.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Do You Have Experience With AMD 64bit CPUs?

1. What is an AMD 64-bit CPU?

An AMD 64-bit CPU is a central processing unit (CPU) produced by Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) that has a 64-bit architecture. This means that the CPU can handle larger amounts of data and perform calculations more efficiently compared to traditional 32-bit CPUs.

2. What are the benefits of using an AMD 64-bit CPU?

The main benefit of using an AMD 64-bit CPU is its increased processing power and ability to handle more complex tasks. This makes it ideal for tasks such as video editing, gaming, and running multiple applications simultaneously. Additionally, it allows for greater memory support, as 64-bit CPUs can access more RAM than 32-bit CPUs.

3. Can I use a 64-bit operating system with an AMD 64-bit CPU?

Yes, an AMD 64-bit CPU is designed to be compatible with 64-bit operating systems. In fact, to fully utilize the capabilities of a 64-bit CPU, it is recommended to use a 64-bit operating system.

4. Is it worth upgrading to an AMD 64-bit CPU?

Whether it is worth upgrading to an AMD 64-bit CPU depends on your specific needs and usage. If you regularly work with large amounts of data or use resource-intensive applications, then upgrading may greatly improve your overall computing experience. However, if you primarily use your computer for basic tasks such as browsing the internet and word processing, the benefits may not be as significant.

5. Are there any compatibility issues with AMD 64-bit CPUs?

There may be compatibility issues with older software or hardware that is not designed for 64-bit systems. However, most modern software and devices are compatible with 64-bit CPUs. It is always recommended to check the system requirements before purchasing any software or hardware to ensure compatibility.