Need a shopping list for building up a desktop for economic modeling

In summary: Although it would be nice to have a dedicated graphics card, you could get by with just a low end graphics card like a Nvidia GT610 or Radeon HD 6450.
bingbing01
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of building up a new system to satisfy my need in scientific computing. My program usually involves with for-loop iterations written in Intel Visual Fortran 2013 on Microsoft Visual Studio 2010. Some of my work need to perform numerical methods, like Amoeba algorithm to look for optimal model parameters, which usually costs me days :cry: , sometimes even a week to fulfill the task on my current desktop with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Duo core 5800.

I am now having several questions to be answered before I finalize my shopping list. Please give me your suggestions on the following issues:

1) I tend to pick AMD Fx-8120 black edition for its convenience in overclock. Today's price of this cpu is around $160. Do I miss any other cpu comparable in price that could beat this AMD one in terms of performance?

2) Given a budget constraint to build up a system with new cpu, power supply, mother board, mid tower case, and necessary RAM around $300 (the cost could go up a little bite to the $400 if necessary), do you think for the purpose of pure computing, I need to throw a water cooler into the system? By the way, in case of overclock, what's the minimum watt of the power supply do I need to choose? :confused:

3) Is it ok to choose a basic video card like ZOTAC ZT-60602-10L Synergy Edition GeForce GT 610, if the major task of the new system focuses on computing only?

Thanks for your time reading through my post. Looking forward to seeing your reply. Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org

$300 is unrealistic for a ground up build. A decent mobo and processor could easily cost more than that. A more realistic budget is around $1000. Overclocking is a bad idea in general. It puts your system at high risk in exchange for a marginal gain in performance, even with a watercooler [which is expensive and painful to setup]. A reliable power supply is also a must. Underpowered PSU's are a leading cause of system suicide. Expect to pay at least $70 for a decent psu. A good case will run you around $60, $50 for 8 gigs of memory, and we have not yet even considered a video or sound card. A good mobo will run around $100 and a good cpu at least $150. Plus you will need a hard drive - another ~$50. And I am lowballing most of these prices. I would suffer my current computer until I had at least several hundred bucks to play with to build a new one. You can shave some expense by cannibalizing what you can use from your current rig.

OK let's be realistic here, you can buy a Windows XP Desktop computer for £50 in second hand shops and junk clearance shops. If you have the time you could go looking for a desktop computer that someone has dumped. Since many people are either upgrading to Laptops or because it is cheaper to as Moors Law comes to its climax, many people are literally throwing old desktop computers away. I myself salvaged 4 desktops of the street. Two were high spec, two were no better than windows 95 computers. But if you find a High spec desktop PC on the street you could certainly mod it for very little cost.

1. How much RAM do I need for economic modeling?

The amount of RAM needed for economic modeling can vary depending on the specific software you are using and the complexity of your model. However, as a general guideline, it is recommended to have at least 8GB of RAM for basic economic modeling, and 16GB or more for more complex models.

2. What type of processor is best for economic modeling?

The ideal processor for economic modeling should have a high number of cores and a fast clock speed. This will allow for faster calculations and processing of data. Intel Core i7 or i9 processors and AMD Ryzen 7 or 9 processors are good options for economic modeling.

3. Do I need a dedicated graphics card for economic modeling?

In most cases, a dedicated graphics card is not necessary for economic modeling. The heavy lifting in economic modeling is done by the processor, so investing in a high-quality CPU is more important. However, if you plan on working with large datasets or using advanced visualization software, a dedicated graphics card may be beneficial.

4. What storage options should I consider for my economic modeling desktop?

When it comes to storage, having a combination of a solid-state drive (SSD) and a hard disk drive (HDD) is recommended. The SSD will provide faster read and write speeds, making it ideal for storing and accessing frequently used files and programs. The HDD can be used for larger files and data storage. Aim for at least 256GB of SSD storage and 1TB of HDD storage.

5. Are there any other important components to consider for an economic modeling desktop?

In addition to the processor, RAM, and storage, it is also important to consider the motherboard, power supply, and cooling system. The motherboard should be compatible with your chosen processor and have enough slots for your RAM and storage needs. The power supply should be able to handle the power requirements of your components. And a good cooling system is essential to prevent overheating and ensure the longevity of your desktop.