Do PHD admissions (specifically EE) prefer BS candidates over MS ones?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different perspectives and stigmas surrounding applying to a PhD program with a BS versus a MS degree. It is believed that in the US, it is generally better to apply directly to a PhD program rather than getting a terminal MS degree first, as it may imply being rejected from other programs. However, this may not be the case for engineering students who often go for a MS to enhance their professional skills and may still apply for PhD programs afterwards. It ultimately depends on the school and individual circumstances.
1230wc
I've heard some schools do this. True in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
1230wc said:
I've heard some schools do this. True in general?

Where are you from?

I've never heard of anything like this happening in the UK anyway, but (assuming you're American) our system is slightly different. Still, I can't see why this would ever be a general rule.

I'm american...

Hopefully someone will come along with a better answer, but it seems that (in America) applying to a PhD program with a BS is better than doing your MS first and then applying.
I'm sure there are many reasons, not the least of which is financial reasons (how long they have you as cheap labor).

I'm not saying this is fair, but where I'm at, doing a terminal MS degree implies that you were rejected from every single PhD program you applied to.
It seems that most people in Physics either search for employment after undergrad, or they go all the way to PhD. No one does the MS unless they "have to."

Again, I'm not saying that's fair...and I may be wrong about how grad programs view it, but that's how people seem to stigmatize the MS students at my University.*I'm not saying I agree with the idea that an MS means "couldn't get into a PhD program." I'm a physics major but really enjoy math. I would love the opportunity to spend a few years getting my MS in pure math before moving on to a Physics PhD program. (I realize I'll have the chance to take extra math courses in grad school, but I'd like to do more than that)

Troponin said:
I'm not saying this is fair, but where I'm at, doing a terminal MS degree implies that you were rejected from every single PhD program you applied to.
It seems that most people in Physics either search for employment after undergrad, or they go all the way to PhD. No one does the MS unless they "have to."

This is probably much less true in engineering. There is a much higher proportion of engineers who are not at all interested in academia but go to grad school to enhance their professional skills. For this group, the PhD doesn't usually make sense vs just getting the MS and working.

Then again, I don't know how many of these types of students end up applying to PhD programs. Those interested in PhDs usually still just apply straight to the PhD program. People change their minds of course, and that's certainly something that can be explained in the app.

kote said:
Then again, I don't know how many of these types of students end up applying to PhD programs.

It depends on the school. At mine, a good chunk of the engineering/comp sci phds got masters degrees and then realized that they wanted to go into phd programs. A friend of mine applied specifically for a masters program and was told she could probably get funded for a phd if she continued on. Basically, from what I've seen of engineers (US, public university), getting a masters doesn't kill their chances of getting into a phd program.

Related to Do PHD admissions (specifically EE) prefer BS candidates over MS ones?

1. What is the difference between a BS and MS candidate in terms of PHD admissions for EE?

The main difference between a BS and MS candidate is the level of education and experience they have. A BS candidate has completed a Bachelor's degree, while an MS candidate has completed a Master's degree. This means that an MS candidate has a higher level of education and may have more research experience than a BS candidate.

2. Does having a BS or MS degree affect my chances of getting into a PHD program for EE?

While having a higher level of education may be beneficial, it is not the only factor that PHD admissions committees consider. They also look at the applicant's research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. Having a strong application overall is more important than just having a certain degree.

3. Are there any specific requirements for BS or MS candidates in PHD admissions for EE?

Each university and program may have different requirements for their PHD admissions. Some may prefer BS candidates over MS ones, while others may not have a preference. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program and tailor your application accordingly.

4. Will having a Master's degree give me an advantage in the PHD admissions process for EE?

Having a Master's degree may give you an advantage in terms of having a higher level of education and more research experience. However, it is ultimately up to the admissions committee to determine the weight they give to each aspect of your application. Having a strong overall application is still the most important factor.

5. Can I apply as both a BS and MS candidate for PHD admissions for EE?

Yes, you can apply as both a BS and MS candidate for PHD admissions. However, it is important to note that you will need to submit separate applications and may need to pay separate application fees. It is also important to consider which degree you would like to pursue if accepted into the program, as some universities may only allow one degree to be completed.