Do I have enough classes completed to go to grad school?

In summary, the individual is considering applying to a graduate program in physics for the fall and has a decent GPA but feels their coursework is light. They are contemplating taking additional courses to strengthen their application, but would prefer to work and study for the GRE. They are seeking advice on which courses to take and whether they should consider taking another semester of E&M. The advice given is to check the level of their courses and to speak with an undergraduate counselor for guidance. The individual also mentions transitioning from a PhD in Nuclear engineering to a physics post doc at MIT and the importance of having research experience and interests for admissions.
NucEngMajor
So, I want to apply to a graduate program in physics in the fall. I have a decent 3.5 overall gap (3.8 upper level physics), but I feel like my course work is light. I'm graduating this semester and am contemplating coming back for a few more courses (maybe graduate) to strengthen my application although I would prefer to work in the Fall to pay off loans while studying a lot for GRE. Advice?
My classes taken:
General I; General II; Math through ODE and a class on proofs; Mechanics, EM (only one semester), Thermal Physics, Modern Physics, Quantum Mechanics, Electronics lab, Modern Physics Lab, Dynamics Lab.

Was thinking about taking a math programming class in summer and maybe grad mechanics or math methods in fall. Unless that one semester of EM is really bad and I should take another at some school?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to check the level of your courses against those a physics major would have taken at the schools you are considering. A physics major typically studies each topic twice. In any case you need a full year of junior-level E&M class. I suggest you talk to the undergrad counselor at your physics dept. for advice.

Likes DrSteve
I went from a PhD in Nuclear engineering to a physics post doc at MIT, so it can be done.

Considerably more important than what courses you have taken (since these can be taken during a gap year, or Fall of your first year in grad school or even online) is the question of what research have you done? Do you have research interests? Have you ever worked in a lab? Or do you prefer theory? This is what the admissions committee is going to want to know.

Related to Do I have enough classes completed to go to grad school?

1. How many classes do I need to take to be eligible for grad school?

The number of classes required for admission to graduate school varies depending on the program and institution. Generally, most graduate programs require applicants to have completed a bachelor's degree, which typically takes 120 credit hours or around 40 classes. However, some programs may have additional prerequisites or specific class requirements, so it is important to research the specific program you are interested in.

2. Do I need to have a specific major or classes in order to apply for grad school?

Again, this will vary depending on the program and institution. Some graduate programs may require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a specific field or have completed certain prerequisite classes. However, many graduate programs are open to applicants from a variety of undergraduate majors, as long as they have the necessary skills and knowledge for the program. It is important to research the specific program you are interested in to determine any specific requirements.

3. Can I use my work experience in place of classes for grad school?

In some cases, work experience may be considered in lieu of classes for admission to graduate school. However, this is not always the case and it will depend on the program and institution. Some programs may have specific work experience requirements or may only consider work experience as supplemental to completed classes. It is important to research the specific program you are interested in to determine their policies on using work experience for admission.

4. Are online classes accepted for grad school admission?

Many graduate programs do accept online classes for admission, as long as they are from accredited institutions. However, some programs may have specific policies on the number of online classes that can be counted towards admission or may not accept certain online classes for specific prerequisites. It is important to research the specific program you are interested in to determine their policies on online classes.

5. Can I take classes at a community college to fulfill requirements for grad school?

Community college classes can often be used to fulfill requirements for graduate school admission. However, it is important to note that some programs may have restrictions on the number of community college classes that can be counted towards admission or may not accept certain classes from community colleges. It is best to research the specific program you are interested in to determine their policies on community college classes.