Do graduate schools see all of your grades?

In summary, the conversation is about applying to graduate school and how the decision is made. It is mentioned that sending an enrollment card and relevant course information can be helpful. The possibility of blind references and conditional acceptance based on final grades is also discussed. The question is asked if it is acceptable to not try as hard in the fall semester in order to focus on other things, to which the response is that the fall grades will still be seen before a decision is made. The point is made that it may not be a good idea to try to get away with learning as little as possible in the last year. The conversation ends with the clarification that the goal is to show improvement over the college years through good grades.
denjay
I'll be applying to graduate school this fall which is my second to last semester. Do they make the decision without seeing these grades?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

But it helps to send an enrollment card for the year to let them know what courses you're taking, especially if they're relevant to the research field you express an interest in.

Yes, they contact your university directly.
They can also ask for blind references (i.e. you won't be able to see what your referees write).

Usually the acceptance letter will say something like "conditional on your final grades".

I'm in the same position. Just to clarify, you all are saying that this semester (spring, junior) is the last semester that matters grade-wise?!? Would it be acceptable for me to not try as hard in my fall semester so that I can focus on applications, research, and my sport? I'm talking about willingly getting B's in the senior-level courses.

They will certainly see your fall grades before they decide, and they will have the option to rescind the offer if your spring grades are poor.

More to the point, though, do you really think it's a good idea to ask "just how little can I get away with learning during my last year?"

Vanadium 50 said:
They will certainly see your fall grades before they decide, and they will have the option to rescind the offer if your spring grades are poor.

More to the point, though, do you really think it's a good idea to ask "just how little can I get away with learning during my last year?"

It's more "Look how much I've improved since my first college semesters." I want them to see as many good grades as possible and the last semesters would be part of that.

Edit: Just realized you were talking to FiguringItOut. Oopsy poops.

Related to Do graduate schools see all of your grades?

1. Do graduate schools see all of my grades from undergrad?

Yes, typically graduate schools will require an official transcript from all undergraduate institutions attended. This includes all grades earned, even if they were retaken or a pass/fail grade.

2. Will my graduate school application be affected by one bad grade?

It depends on the specific program and university. Some schools may have a minimum GPA requirement, while others may consider the overall trend of your grades rather than one individual grade. It's important to check the specific requirements of the program you are applying to.

3. Do graduate schools only care about my major-related courses?

While your major courses may hold more weight in your application, graduate schools typically review all courses taken during your undergraduate career. They may also consider the difficulty of your course load and any relevant coursework outside of your major.

4. Can I explain any extenuating circumstances that affected my grades?

Yes, if there were any significant factors that affected your grades, such as a personal or medical issue, you can typically address this in your personal statement or provide supporting documentation. This may allow the admissions committee to better understand your academic performance.

5. Will graduate schools see my grades from community college or other non-four year institutions?

It depends on the specific program and university. Some schools may only require transcripts from four-year institutions, while others may request transcripts from all institutions attended. It's important to check the specific requirements of the program you are applying to.