Do Graduate Schools Require Knowledge of a Foreign Language for Admission?

• Thread starter gretun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amateur
In summary: No, that is not true. You are not required to teach in a foreign language for graduate school, but it is not a bad idea to have some language skills. In summary, all prestige and good Physics/Math programs (graduate school) require you to know a foreign language, but it is not a requirement for admission. However, if it comes down to two people, like with the exact same grades and test scores, same merit of letters of recommendations, etc.., but the only thing that marks the difference between these two applicants is a foreign language, then the person who knows the language will usually be admitted over the person who doesn't. Also, being rich or having a foreign language requirement won't help you get
gretun
Are all prestige and good Physics/Math programs (graduate school) require you to know a foreign language? Another question is about admission in grad school.

If it comes down to two people, like with the exact same grades and test scores, same merit of letters of recommendations, etc.., but the only thing that marks the difference between these two applicants is

1. a foreign language(s)
2. citizenship
3. Finance.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not required to know a foreign language for grad school, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

VeeEight said:
You are not required to know a foreign language for grad school, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Don't they require you to translate papers?

I have never had to do that nor encountered any peers doing this. I live in Canada though, so this may be different in other countries.

Graduate programs in the sciences in the US do not require knowing another language. Just English. No, you don't have to translate papers. Almost all the papers you need are already in English, or have been translated before. I have only once thought a paper might come in useful for my research and then found out it was in Italian and hadn't been translated. And it's not like I would have learned Italian for my research plan anyway.

Also, grad school will pay YOU to attend in the US - you don't have to pay for it. Do not accept offers that don't come with a tuition waiver and an assistantship in return for you teaching and/or doing research for them. So neither knowing a foreign language or being rich is going to help you get into science/math graduate programs - citizenship usually isn't too much of an issue as long as you can get a visa.

A lot of math programs do have 'foreign language requirements', but most are a joke-- often they give you a short math paper and a dictionary and ask you to translate it in a few hours.

When I was a grad student in physics at Michigan about thirty years ago, there was a language requirement which I satisfied by having already taken some German courses beyond the introductory level and studied in Germany for a semester as an undergraduate. Some people I knew met the requirement by demonstrating that they could read (at least extract information from) a paper written in either French, German or Russian.

That requirement doesn't exist any more, according to the http://www.lsa.umich.edu/physics/graduate/requ .

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember where I heard it, but I heard that some Ph.D programs require you to teach in another language, is that true?

Related to Do Graduate Schools Require Knowledge of a Foreign Language for Admission?

What is "Another amateur question"?

"Another amateur question" is a phrase commonly used to describe a question that is basic or simple in nature, often asked by someone who is not an expert in the subject matter.

Why do people ask "Another amateur question"?

People may ask "Another amateur question" for a variety of reasons, such as genuine curiosity, seeking clarification on a topic, or not having enough knowledge in the subject to formulate a more complex question.

Is it bad to ask "Another amateur question"?

No, it is not bad to ask "Another amateur question". In fact, asking questions is an essential part of learning and gaining knowledge. It is important to ask questions in order to fully understand a topic and to continue to learn and grow.

How can I avoid asking "Another amateur question"?

One way to avoid asking "Another amateur question" is to do some research beforehand. This can include reading articles, watching videos, or consulting with experts in the field. Additionally, actively listening and paying attention to discussions and lectures can help you avoid asking basic questions.

What should I do if I am embarrassed to ask "Another amateur question"?

If you are embarrassed to ask "Another amateur question", remember that everyone starts as a beginner and it is perfectly normal to have questions. You can also try asking your question privately to the speaker or a friend who is knowledgeable on the topic. Another option is to do some independent research and try to find the answer on your own.