Do Charged Objects Lose Their Charge in Air?

In summary: Just rub anything plastic (I use a plastic ruler) against your hair and hang it on a thread somewhere. Initially, it attracts light things (pieces of tissue paper for example ), but it does not after a while: it loses charge. There are ions and dipole molecules in the air - water molecules are such dipoles - and they are attracted to the ruler or to your charged sphere. They might take charge over from the charged body, and then repelled by it, so they carry the charge away, into the air. In a damp day, experiments on static electricity do not work, and the teachers usually refer to the damp weather when they do not succeed to perform the experiment. :biggrin
ShizukaSm
If I have a charged object in contact with normal air (but nothing else) and insulated, does it lose charge over time? Does the answer depend on the object being an conductor or an insulator itself?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the answer is typically no. In order for the object to discharge, the charges would have to travel across a very large air gap, a process that is called arcing. Air is a very poor conductor of electricity, so this just doesn't happen unless if you have a tremendous amount of static charge built up, as is the case for lightning. In order for arcing to occur, you have to have enough voltage to ionize the surrounding air, which creates a conductive pathway.

cepheid said:
I think the answer is typically no. In order for the object to discharge, the charges would have to travel across a very large air gap, a process that is called arcing. Air is a very poor conductor of electricity, so this just doesn't happen unless if you have a tremendous amount of static charge built up, as is the case for lightning. In order for arcing to occur, you have to have enough voltage to ionize the surrounding air, which creates a conductive pathway.

Thanks. I happen to be aware of arcing, but I was thinking of something less drastic, and I'm actually speaking about a realistic situation. Could somehow the particles in air slowly discharge my object?

In short, I want to know if I go to a lab tomorrow and perform this experiment (charging a sphere and connecting it through a long insulator to the ground), I can return a week later and find the same charge.

Of course, I don't have a lab so I can't actually test that.

ShizukaSm said:
Thanks. I happen to be aware of arcing, but I was thinking of something less drastic, and I'm actually speaking about a realistic situation. Could somehow the particles in air slowly discharge my object?

In short, I want to know if I go to a lab tomorrow and perform this experiment (charging a sphere and connecting it through a long insulator to the ground), I can return a week later and find the same charge.

Of course, I don't have a lab so I can't actually test that.

You won't have the same charge on an isolated sphere the other day, and you can perform an experiment. Just rub anything plastic (I use a plastic ruler) against your hair and hang it on a thread somewhere. Initially, it attracts light things (pieces of tissue paper for example ), but it does not after a while: it loses charge. There are ions and dipole molecules in the air - water molecules are such dipoles - and they are attracted to the ruler or to your charged sphere. They might take charge over from the charged body, and then repelled by it, so they carry the charge away, into the air. In a damp day, experiments on static electricity do not work, and the teachers usually refer to the damp weather when they do not succeed to perform the experiment. :biggrin:

ehild

The answer to this question depends on several factors. First, it is important to understand that all objects have a natural tendency to reach a state of equilibrium, where the number of positive and negative charges are balanced. This is known as electrostatic discharge.

In the case of an electrically charged object in contact with normal air, the surrounding air molecules may interact with the charged object and cause it to lose some of its charge over time. This process is known as ionization. However, the rate at which this occurs depends on the properties of the object itself.

If the object is a good conductor, meaning it allows electricity to flow easily, it is more likely to lose its charge quickly as the excess charges can easily move through the material and dissipate into the air. On the other hand, if the object is a good insulator, meaning it does not allow electricity to flow easily, it will retain its charge for a longer period of time as the charges are unable to move through the material and dissipate.

In addition, the humidity and temperature of the surrounding air can also affect the rate of charge loss. High humidity and warm temperatures can increase the likelihood of ionization and therefore, cause the charged object to lose its charge more quickly.

In conclusion, the answer to whether a charged object loses its charge over time when in contact with normal air depends on the object's properties, such as its conductivity, as well as external factors such as humidity and temperature.

Related to Do Charged Objects Lose Their Charge in Air?

1. What is an electrically charged object?

An electrically charged object is an object that has an excess or deficiency of electrons, causing it to have a net positive or negative charge.

2. How do objects become electrically charged?

Objects can become electrically charged through a process called charging, where electrons are either added or removed from the object.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

Positive charges are caused by an excess of protons, while negative charges are caused by an excess of electrons. Opposite charges attract each other, while like charges repel.

4. Can electrically charged objects affect each other's behavior?

Yes, electrically charged objects can affect each other's behavior through the force of attraction or repulsion between opposite or like charges.

5. How do electrically charged objects interact with non-charged objects?

Electrically charged objects can induce a temporary charge in non-charged objects through a process called induction. This can cause the non-charged object to either attract or repel the charged object.