Electrical conductivity has an effect while charging by conduction?

In summary, the higher the conductivity of a material, the less resistance it has to an electric current.
kololo
Homework Statement
Does electrical conductivity affects only the time taken for two conductors to obtain their resultant charge?
Relevant Equations
-
I understand that electrical conductivity is a measure of how easily charges are able to move in an object.
During charging by conduction (for conductors), it seems that we simply have to add the charges of both object together and divide by two to obtain the resultant charge of either object. Does electrical conductivity then affects only the time taken for the two conductors to obtain their resultant charge?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
To charge an object you need to have an electric current into and through that object, correct? How does the resistance (or conductivity) affect an electric current?

Likes Delta2, kololo and scottdave
"resultant charge", to me, means steady state, or that nothing is changing any more, the system is stable. What can you conclude from that assumption about your problem?

Likes kololo
Drakkith said:
To charge an object you need to have an electric current into and through that object, correct? How does the resistance (or conductivity) affect an electric current?
Thank you for your reply, but I still have some queries.
1653537465478.png

Do you mean to say that when the particles are in contact with each other and when electrons move from A to B, there is electron current from A to B?
Since the current is voltage divided by resistance, the higher the conductivity, the less the resistance, and thus the higher the current. And since current is the rate of flow of charge, a higher current will mean that it will take a shorter time for A and B to obtain 2.5q of charge? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Likes Delta2
kololo said:
Do you mean to say that when the particles are in contact with each other and when electrons move from A to B, there is electron current from A to B?
Absolutely. Electrons are electric charges after all, and current is defined as the movement of electric charges.

kololo said:
Since the current is voltage divided by resistance, the higher the conductivity, the less the resistance, and thus the higher the current. And since current is the rate of flow of charge, a higher current will mean that it will take a shorter time for A and B to obtain 2.5q of charge? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
That looks correct to me.

Likes Delta2 and kololo
Drakkith said:
Absolutely. Electrons are electric charges after all, and current is defined as the movement of electric charges.That looks correct to me.
Alright, I understand now. Thank you!

Likes Delta2
BTW I don't think its an easy problem to find a formula for the current that flows when we bring two conductors of different potential in contact , but I agree that the conductivity of the conductors will have a proportional effect to this current. Or the resistivity will have an inversely proportional effect. The reason for this is I think Ohm's law in its differential form $$\mathbf{J}=\sigma\mathbf{E}$$ where it gives us clearly that the current density ##\mathbf{J}## is proportional to the conductivity ##\sigma##.

For a simplified version of this problem, check the following thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/inductance-and-charge-redistribution.988487/

PS. Sorry the above link is for two spherical conductors connected by a coil of inductance L but the solution path would be similar if we assume they are connected by a conductor of ohmic resistance R.

Last edited:
Likes kololo
Delta2 said:
BTW I don't think its an easy problem to find a formula for the current that flows when we bring two conductors of different potential in contact , but I agree that the conductivity of the conductors will have a proportional effect to this current. Or the resistivity will have an inversely proportional effect. The reason for this is I think Ohm's law in its differential form $$\mathbf{J}=\sigma\mathbf{E}$$ where it gives us clearly that the current density ##\mathbf{J}## is proportional to the conductivity ##\sigma##.

For a simplified version of this problem, check the following thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/inductance-and-charge-redistribution.988487/

PS. Sorry the above link is for two spherical conductors connected by a coil of inductance L but the solution path would be similar if we assume they are connected by a conductor of ohmic resistance R.
Thank you

Likes Delta2

1. What is electrical conductivity?

Electrical conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity. It is the inverse of electrical resistance, meaning that a material with high conductivity will have low resistance and vice versa.

2. How does electrical conductivity affect charging by conduction?

When charging by conduction, electrons are transferred from one object to another through direct contact. The speed and efficiency of this transfer is determined by the electrical conductivity of the materials involved. Higher conductivity means a faster transfer of electrons and therefore a quicker charging process.

3. What factors affect electrical conductivity?

The main factors that affect electrical conductivity are the type of material, its temperature, and its physical structure. Metals, for example, have high conductivity due to their free-moving electrons, while insulators have low conductivity due to their tightly bound electrons.

4. Can electrical conductivity impact the safety of charging by conduction?

Yes, electrical conductivity can impact the safety of charging by conduction. If the materials involved have a high conductivity, there is a greater risk of electric shock or fire if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to use materials with appropriate levels of conductivity and to follow safety guidelines when charging by conduction.

5. How can I measure the electrical conductivity of a material?

The electrical conductivity of a material can be measured using a device called a conductivity meter. This device applies an electric field to the material and measures the resulting current flow. The higher the current flow, the higher the conductivity of the material. Conductivity can also be calculated by measuring the resistance of a material and using the equation σ = 1/ρ, where σ is conductivity and ρ is resistance.