Volume density vs Surface density of charge distribution

In summary, the conversation is about the behavior of charges in conductors and insulators. Conductors have mobile/free electrons and only have charge on the surface, while insulators do not have free electrons and can have charge throughout. The link provided explains this concept further. When a conductor is charged, the electric field inside is zero due to the redistribution of charges. This is because the net charge can only reside on the surface of a conductor. When a charged rod is brought close to a solid spherical conductor, the external field due to the rod is canceled by the internal field created by charges on the opposite ends of the sphere. However, this explanation may fail in certain scenarios, such as when one side of the charged sphere is earthed and
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
I have come across questions in Electrostatics where a solid sphere has a volume density of charge distribution mentioned, but in some questions an area density of charge is given for a solid sphere.

My question is, when will a solid sphere have a volume or area distribution of charge?
Relevant Equations
None
This doubt is confusing to me.

I know it's something to do with conductors and insulators, but cannot explain. Conductors have mobile/free electrons unlike insulators. Having free electrons doesn't seem to explain this difference of charge distributions.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it’s a conductor it will only have charge on the surface.

Likes vcsharp2003
haruspex said:
If it’s a conductor it will only have charge on the surface.

What would be the reason for this? Also, which material will have a volume density of charge?

haruspex said:

That link provides excellent reading on electrostatics. Thank you.

The para on page 48 that seems to explain is as below. Is this correct?

"Net charge can only reside on the surface of a conductor. This is easily proved with Gauss’s law: make a little Gaussian surface that is totally contained inside the conductor. Since there is no ##\vec E## -field inside the conductor, ##\oint \vec E \cdot d \vec A## is clearly zero for your surface. Since that is equal to the charge the surface contains, there can be no charge."

haruspex said:
Also, electric field inside a charged conductor is zero because if it was not so then mobile electrons in sphere would still move and redistribute due to an electrical force on them. This seems a good explanation for the case when a charged rod is brought close to solid spherical conductor so external field due to charged rod gets canceled by internal field created by charges on opposite ends of the sphere.

But the above explanation fails in following scenario. A positively charged rod is brought near a solid spherical conductor. After charges have redistributed on the surface of the sphere, the positively charged side opposite to the side next to charged rod is earthed. Earthing is removed now. Then the charged rod is taken away from the sphere as a last step so it has none of its electric field acting within the sphere. As a result, negative charges will redistribute on the surface of the sphere. Why will they stop redistributing after a moment in this type of scenario?

Last edited:
vcsharp2003 said:
Also electric field inside a charged conductor is zero because if it were not so then mobile electrons would still move and redistribute due to an electric force on them.
Quite so.

Likes vcsharp2003
haruspex said:
Quite so.
I have edited my post to which you replied above. I cannot explain using the same explanation why after earthing one side of the charged sphere and removing the charged rod from its vicinity, charges stop redistributing?

vcsharp2003 said:
I have edited my post to which you replied above. I cannot explain using the same explanation why after earthing one side of the charged sphere and removing the charged rod from its vicinity, charges stop redistributing?
Perhaps, the electric field created by redistributed negative charges results in net zero force on electrons that are still inside the solid sphere since the electrons on surface are pushing the inside electrons in all directions and these forces cancel each other.

vcsharp2003 said:
the positively charged side opposite to the side next to charged rod
Makes no difference where the Earth is attached.
vcsharp2003 said:
The charged rod is then taken away from the sphere
Is it still earthed?
vcsharp2003 said:
Why will they stop redistributing after a moment
Once you stop changing the setup, charge redistribution will swiftly settle into equilibrium. Maybe I do not understand the question.

haruspex said:
Is it still earthed?

The earthing is removed while the charged rod is held close to the other end of sphere. After this, the charged rod is removed from the vicinity of sphere.

haruspex said:
Maybe I do not understand the question.

I was trying to use the explanation of external field cancelling the internal field to reason why electric field inside the conductor is zero. After earthing and charged rod are removed, how can we say net field inside the charged spherical conductor is zero.

vcsharp2003 said:
I was trying to use the explanation of external field cancelling the internal field to reason why electric field inside the conductor is zero. After earthing and charged rod are removed, how can we say net field inside the charged spherical conductor is zero.
Because when the rod is removed the (negative) charges on the sphere will redistribute to be uniform so as to arrange that for the reason you give in post #6.

haruspex said:
Because when the rod is removed the (negative) charges on the sphere will redistribute to be uniform so as to arrange that for the reason you give in post #6.

Did you mean the reason I gave in post #9?

vcsharp2003 said:
Did you mean the reason I gave in post #9?
No, I meant the first half of post #6.
I'm not sure I understand post #9. It seems to be suggesting a mechanism by which charges would be stably distributed inside the sphere. That won't happen. At all stages of the sequence the charges are on the surface only.

Related to Volume density vs Surface density of charge distribution

1. What is the difference between volume density and surface density of charge distribution?

Volume density refers to the amount of charge per unit volume, while surface density refers to the amount of charge per unit area. In other words, volume density measures the amount of charge within a three-dimensional space, while surface density measures the amount of charge on a two-dimensional surface.

2. How are volume density and surface density related?

Volume density and surface density are related by the formula ρ = σ / d, where ρ is the volume density, σ is the surface density, and d is the thickness of the material. This means that the volume density is equal to the surface density divided by the thickness of the material.

3. Why is volume density important in charge distribution?

Volume density is important in charge distribution because it helps us understand how much charge is present in a given volume of space. This is useful in various applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and in the study of electromagnetic fields.

4. How is volume density measured?

Volume density can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as Coulomb's law or Gauss's law. These laws relate the electric field, which can be measured using instruments such as an electrometer, to the charge density. Other methods, such as X-ray crystallography, can also be used to determine the volume density of charge in a material.

5. What factors can affect the volume density of charge distribution?

The volume density of charge distribution can be affected by a variety of factors, including the material's composition, temperature, and external electric fields. It can also be affected by the presence of other charges nearby, as well as the geometry of the material. Additionally, the volume density can be altered by physical processes such as diffusion or convection.