Dirt micro sprint car -- two different roll centers from front to rear?

In summary, the frame mount for the front location is on the inside of the right side frame rail and the frame mount for the rear location is on the outside of the right frame rail. It is possible to have two different roll centers from front to rear, but the roll center down the middle of the car should be in the center.
Benfish65
Hello everyone!

New here to this forum!

My question is...I race a 600 micro sprint here on the east coast.

My car has a front and rear panhard bar. The frame mount for the rear is located on the outside of the right frame rail. The frame mount for the front is located on the inside of the right side frame rail.

Is it possible to have two different roll centers from front to rear?

I struggled with this car all year and I'm trying to find answers!

Any help will be greatly appreiciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.onedirt.com/tech-stories/suspension/finding-your-center-finding-your-front-and-rear-roll-center/

Yes I agree but what about the roll center down the middle of the car?

If I'm looking from the top of my chassis down there is a line down the length of the car from front to back...shouldn't this line be in the center of the car? Shouldn't it be the same from front to back?

Right now this line is different from front to rear...it's almost center on the front but the rear it's moved over to the right about 6". I don't think this is correct.

If one of your roll center is off center, then your roll axis is "crooked".

Although I'm not familiar with your particular suspension and car, I assume you are racing on an oval, always in the same direction. Putting the rear roll center on one side would affect weight transfer F/R distribution. My guess is that in your case, it helps loosing up the rear end to initiate drifting when entering a curve.

drawing a line form ft. to rear rc. the lone will NOT be parallel to the cars center line unless you are racing a road course.
if you race a rear wheel drive car for round track racing you will have the rear RC offset. ifin you have 56% left side weight I would expect the center of the rear end to be located 56% to the left side. you should have no deviation of the left to right rear RC location in bump. you can expect slight RC height change in bump.
ft. RC should be offset to the right to help steer the car. ( see race car suspension class to find out why). You can expect ft. rc to change in dive and roll but would be a straight vertical change if you have it set up correctly. the ft. rc will be lower then the rear rc if you have front engine rear wheel drive car. again see race car suspension class to find out why.

Related to Dirt micro sprint car -- two different roll centers from front to rear?

1. How do you determine the roll centers for a dirt micro sprint car?

To determine the roll centers for a dirt micro sprint car, you will need to first measure the distance between the center of the front and rear axles. This will give you the wheelbase measurement. Then, you will need to measure the distance between the ground and the center of the front and rear suspension mounting points. These measurements will help you calculate the roll centers for the front and rear of the car.

2. What is the purpose of having two different roll centers in a dirt micro sprint car?

The purpose of having two different roll centers in a dirt micro sprint car is to improve handling and stability on dirt tracks. The front roll center is typically higher to help with weight transfer and cornering, while the rear roll center is lower to provide more traction and stability.

3. How do the roll centers affect the handling of a dirt micro sprint car?

The roll centers have a significant impact on the handling of a dirt micro sprint car. A higher front roll center will help the car rotate more quickly in turns, while a lower rear roll center will provide more traction and stability. Adjusting the roll centers can also affect the weight distribution and overall balance of the car.

4. Can the roll centers be adjusted on a dirt micro sprint car?

Yes, the roll centers can be adjusted on a dirt micro sprint car. This can be done by changing the height or angle of the suspension mounting points, or by using different components such as shocks or control arms. It is important to carefully consider the track conditions and desired handling characteristics before making any adjustments to the roll centers.

5. What are some common challenges when setting up the roll centers on a dirt micro sprint car?

Some common challenges when setting up the roll centers on a dirt micro sprint car include finding the right balance between weight transfer, traction, and stability, as well as determining the optimal roll center heights for different track conditions. It may also take some trial and error to find the best setup for a particular driver's style and preferences.