Solving Special Relativity Equation: Rail Car Thought Experiment

In summary, Charlie switches on the light source halfway through the train's journey, and all observers on the train ( Alice, Bob, and David ) measure the light reaching them as simultaneous. However, an observer on the ground (David) sees the light reaching Bob 0.6 seconds earlier than Alice.
Alex Pavel
I know that c is the same in all reference frames. I am trying to understand the rail car thought experiment.
I've got it down pretty well except for one part - the difference between an observer moving toward a light source versus an observer moving away from a light source at the same relative velocity.

- We have two observers in a train moving east at, say, 0.3c relative to the track. It is a very long train, two light seconds long.
- We have two synchronized clocks at the two targets, A (Alice) and B (Bob)
- Observer (C) Charlie is on the train in the middle and he controls the light source
- Alice stands 1 light second east, and Bob is 1 light second west (29,972KM) of Charlie and the light source on the train
- An observer is on the track (David) with his own clock.
- When the center point of the train (Charlie) reaches David (on the track) the light source is switched on. At this even, all clocks are set to zero.

David, located on the track, measures the light reaching Alice at 1.3 seconds on his clock at a distance of 38,964KM east of David. He measures the light reaching Bob at 0.7 seconds, 20,980KM west of David.

- Alice, on the east end of the train, will record the time of light reaching her as 0.95 seconds.
- Bob, on the west end of the train is moving toward the light source at .3c, will also record the time of the light reaching him as: 0.95 on his clock.
Therefore, with Alice and Bob, using synchronized clocks, agree that the light beam has hit them simultaneously.

Whereas David (on the track) sees the light beam hit Bob 0.6 seconds earlier than Alice.
Thus, Alice and Bob at opposite ends of the train show identical time elapsed, while a 3rd party can perceive me meeting the light earlier or later.

This does not 'feel' correct yet I think I have the calculations right. Is this right?

Thank you!

upload_2018-1-7_13-18-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-7_13-13-14.png
    upload_2018-1-7_13-13-14.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 423
  • upload_2018-1-7_13-18-9.png
    upload_2018-1-7_13-18-9.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alex Pavel said:
- We have two observers in a train moving west at, say, 0.3c. It is a very long train, two light seconds long.
- We have two synchronized clocks at the two targets, A (Alice) and B (Bob)
- Observer (C) Charlie is on the train in the middle and he controls the light source
So A, B, C, and the light source are all on the train?

Alex Pavel said:
- Therefore Alice is moving away from the light source.
- And Bob is moving toward the light source.
I thought A and B were on the train? And the train is moving west.

Alex Pavel said:
- When the center point of the train (Charlie) reaches David (on the track) the light source is switched on. At this even, all clocks are set to zero.
According to what frame? When you say the clocks are set to zero, I assume you mean that according to observers on the train, clocks at A, B, and C all read zero at that moment. (Observers in the ground frame would disagree.)

Whenever you state where something is at a given time (such as when the light reaches them) you must also state according to what frame.

A diagram might be nice.

Likes Alex Pavel
@Alex Pavel You have a couple of conceptual errors buried in that post. A, B, C and the light source are all on the train. As far as they are concerned they are all at rest and only D is moving. Assuming the rest length of the train is 2 light seconds, they will measure 1s for the light to travel from C to A and from C to B. In their reference frame they are not moving relative to tge source.

If A, B and C synchronize their clocks, then D will not measure them as synchronised in his frame. This is as aspect of the relativity of simultaneity.

Likes Alex Pavel
Okay I see what I misunderstood, problem solved. Thank you.

1. What is the "rail car thought experiment" in special relativity?

The rail car thought experiment is a hypothetical scenario used to understand the concepts of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity. It involves two observers, one on a moving train and one on a stationary platform, measuring the speed and position of a light beam passing between them.

2. How does the rail car thought experiment demonstrate special relativity?

The rail car thought experiment demonstrates special relativity by illustrating how the laws of physics, specifically the speed of light being constant for all observers, can lead to different measurements of time and distance for observers in different reference frames.

3. What is the equation used to solve the rail car thought experiment in special relativity?

The equation used to solve the rail car thought experiment is the Lorentz transformation, which calculates the relationship between the measurements of time and distance for two observers in relative motion. It is given by t' = γ(t - vx/c²) and x' = γ(x - vt), where t and x are the measurements in the stationary frame, t' and x' are the measurements in the moving frame, v is the relative velocity between the frames, c is the speed of light, and γ is the Lorentz factor.

4. How does the Lorentz transformation explain time dilation and length contraction in the rail car thought experiment?

The Lorentz transformation explains time dilation and length contraction in the rail car thought experiment by showing that as an object approaches the speed of light, its measurements of time and distance will appear to slow down and contract in the frame of reference of an observer in a different frame of reference. This is due to the constant speed of light and the relativity of time and space in the theory of special relativity.

5. What are the implications of the rail car thought experiment and special relativity in modern science?

The implications of the rail car thought experiment and special relativity in modern science are significant. They have revolutionized our understanding of time, space, and the relationship between them. They have also led to the development of technologies such as GPS and particle accelerators, and have been used to make predictions and explain phenomena in fields such as cosmology and particle physics.