Dirac Gamma matrices in the (-+++) metric

In summary, There are several published texts that provide a representation of the Dirac gamma matrices for the -+++ signature, including "Tools for supersymmetry" by Van Proeyen, "Supersymmetry and Gauge theory" by Lambert, and "Quantum Theory of Fields, vol. I" by Steven Weinberg. Srednicki's text, which can be downloaded from his web page, also has gamma matrices in this signature, but with slightly different conventions.
brennan_t
Hi,

The typical representation of the Dirac gamma matrices are designed for the +--- metric. For example

/gamma^0 = [1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1] , /gamma^i = [0 & /sigma^i \\ - /sigma^i & 0]

this corresponds to the metric +---

Does anyone know a representation of the gamma matrices for -+++?

Can you refer me to a published article or text?

Thank you!

Thomas Brennan
Research Assistant Professor
West Virginia Wesleyan College.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look for instance at "Tools for supersymmetry" by Van Proeyen, or "Supersymmetry and Gauge theory" by Lambert.

Weinberg, vol I uses the (-+++) signature, and gives a representation of the Dirac matrices on p.216.

Bill_K:

Thanks, what is the rest of the title? Steven Weinberg has written several books...

Is it the 'Quantum Theory of Fields, vol. I"

I think I answered my own question. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, that's the book.

Srednicki's text (downloadable from his web page) also has gamma matrices in (-+++) signature. But IIRC his conventions are not the same as Weinberg's.

Yes, that's the book.

Srednicki's text (downloadable from his web page) also has gamma matrices in (-+++) signature. But IIRC his conventions are not the same as Weinberg's.

Actually I think Srednicki's gamma matrices are the same as yours. But he puts an extra minus sign on the RHS of the anticommutator:

[tex]\{\gamma^\mu,\gamma^\nu\}=-2\eta^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

Related to Dirac Gamma matrices in the (-+++) metric

1. What are Dirac Gamma matrices in the (-+++) metric?

Dirac Gamma matrices are a set of mathematical objects used in quantum field theory to represent the spin of particles. In the (-+++) metric, there are four Gamma matrices, denoted by γ0, γ1, γ2, and γ3, which satisfy the Clifford algebra relations.

2. How are the Dirac Gamma matrices related to the Lorentz group?

The Dirac Gamma matrices are related to the Lorentz group, which describes the transformations between inertial reference frames in special relativity. The Gamma matrices generate the spinor representations of the Lorentz group.

3. What is the significance of the (-+++) metric in the context of Dirac Gamma matrices?

The (-+++) metric is the signature of the Minkowski spacetime, which is the spacetime used in special relativity. In this metric, time has a positive sign while space has negative signs. This metric is important in the context of Dirac Gamma matrices because it allows for the correct representation of the spin of particles in special relativity.

4. How are the Dirac Gamma matrices used in quantum field theory?

The Dirac Gamma matrices are used to represent the spin of particles in quantum field theory. They are also used to construct the Dirac spinor field, which describes fermionic particles such as electrons, quarks, and neutrinos.

5. Are there any other metrics in which the Dirac Gamma matrices can be used?

Yes, the Dirac Gamma matrices can be used in other metrics such as the (++++) metric, which is the signature of the Euclidean spacetime. In this metric, all four components have positive signs. The use of different metrics can lead to different mathematical properties and physical interpretations of the Gamma matrices.