Reps of lorentz group and pauli and gamma matrices

In summary: Inverse super space-time transformations are defined as follows: S-T: Super space-time is mapped to its reverse, T-S.Inverse super space-time transformations are defined as follows:S-T: Super space-time is mapped to its inverse, T-S.
bartadam
I'm very confused

By performing a lorentz transformation on a spinor [tex]\psi\rightarrow S(\Lambda)\psi(\Lambda x)[/tex] and imposing covariance on the Dirac equation [tex]i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\psi=0[/tex] we deduce that the gamma matrices transform as

[tex]S(\Lambda)\gamma^{\mu} S^{-1}(\Lambda)=\Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}\gamma^{\nu}[/tex]

I understand that.

Now the Gamma matrices can be given by
[tex]\gamma^{\mu}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 0&\sigma^{\mu}\\ \bar{\sigma}^{\mu} & 0\end{array} \right][/tex]

with [tex]\sigma^{\mu}=(1,\sigma^1,\sigma^2,\sigma^3)[/tex] and [tex]\bar{\sigma}^{\mu}=(-1,\sigma^1,\sigma^2,\sigma^3)[/tex]

and the dirac equation is reducible into the weyl equations.

[tex]i\sigma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\psi_L=0[/tex] and [tex]i\bar{\sigma}^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\psi_R=0[/tex]

What is the way to write the lorentz transformations in this case, and how to the pauli matrices transform.

Physics news on Phys.org
The gamma matrices are constants! They do not transform. Neither do the Pauli matrices.

It is the spinor (either Dirac or Weyl) that transforms. Try going over it again, carefully.

Ben Niehoff said:
The gamma matrices are constants! They do not transform. Neither do the Pauli matrices.

It is the spinor (either Dirac or Weyl) that transforms. Try going over it again, carefully.

Then now I really do not understand. In order to maintain covariance the following expression is true.

[tex]S_{-1}(\Lambda)\gamma^{\mu} S(\Lambda)=\Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}\gamma^{\nu}[/tex]

if we write a lorentz transformation on a spinor as [tex]\psi'(x')=S(\Lambda)\psi(x)=S(\Lambda)\psi(\Lambda_{-1}x')[/tex]

then say [tex]i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\psi(x)=0[/tex] then

[tex]i\gamma_{\mu}\Lambda^{\rho}_{\mu}\partial_{\rho}'\psi(\lambda_{-1}x)=0[/tex]

so [tex]i\gamma_{\mu}\Lambda^{\rho}_{\mu}\partial_{\rho}'S^{-1}\psi(x')=0[/tex]

Then multiply on the left with S

[tex]iS\gamma^{\mu}S_{-1}\Lambda^{\rho}_{\mu}\partial_{\rho}'\phi'(x')[/tex]

and then impose covariance so the form of the equation is unaltered in the transformed frame so that [tex]S\gamma^{\mu}S_{-1}\Lambda^{\rho}_{\mu}=\gamma^{\rho}[/tex]

That's in every textbook and my lecture notes lol. What happens with 2 component spinors though?

Last edited:
Ben Niehoff said:
The gamma matrices are constants! They do not transform
This is true in the sense that if you act with a transformation matrix on every index (both spinor indices and the vector index), the gamma matrices are unchanged. This is equivalent to saying (as the OP did) that transforming the two spinor indices gives the same result as transforming only the vector index (actually by the inverse transformation).

The Lorentz transformation properties of Weyl fields are treated in mind-numbing detail in the QFT book by Srednicki, available free online.

Avodyne said:
This is true in the sense that if you act with a transformation matrix on every index (both spinor indices and the vector index), the gamma matrices are unchanged. This is equivalent to saying (as the OP did) that transforming the two spinor indices gives the same result as transforming only the vector index (actually by the inverse transformation).

The Lorentz transformation properties of Weyl fields are treated in mind-numbing detail in the QFT book by Srednicki, available free online.

lol thanks. I was worried I was being completely thick then. don't suppose you have a link do you for where I can see it for free? can't find it.

Im generally confused on this whole matter. Ultimately I want to perform a super poincare transformation on superspace. I.e a susy transform then a lorentz transform which I know how to do on the super space cos I have seen it in a book. Then I want to invert the transformation, so inverse lorentz then inverse susy.

oh cheers. Yeah I came across that page but didn't see the bit where it said 'click here' :lol:

Sorry that just made me look lazy.

Let me first say that you have a lot of mix-ups where inverse transformations should be transformations and transformations should be inverse transformations. I'm not just talking about using a different convention than what I'm used to - what you have is not internally consistent.

Anyways, if you're confused about how the 2-component Weyl spinors inside your 4-component Dirac spinors transform, try calculating the 4x4 spin-matrices. If you do that (in the Weyl basis), you should find that resulting matrix is block-diagonal, and that 2x2 Pauli matrices transform each 2-component Weyl spinor (the top should transform with opposite sign of the bottom - this is the result of left-handed and right-handed Weyl fields being related by the adjoint operation)

RedX said:
Let me first say that you have a lot of mix-ups where inverse transformations should be transformations and transformations should be inverse transformations. I'm not just talking about using a different convention than what I'm used to - what you have is not internally consistent.

That's because I have been sloppy writing stuff.

Related to Reps of lorentz group and pauli and gamma matrices

1. What is the Lorentz group and how is it related to physics?

The Lorentz group is a mathematical concept that describes the transformations of space and time in Einstein's theory of special relativity. It is important in physics because it helps us understand how objects and events appear differently to observers moving at different speeds.

2. What are the representations of the Lorentz group?

The representations of the Lorentz group are mathematical objects that describe how the group acts on different types of physical quantities, such as vectors, spinors, and tensors. These representations are important because they allow us to calculate how physical quantities change when we change our frame of reference.

3. What are the Pauli matrices and how are they related to the Lorentz group?

The Pauli matrices are a set of three 2x2 matrices that represent the spin of a particle in quantum mechanics. They are closely related to the Lorentz group because they can be used to construct the spinor representations of the group, which are important for describing the behavior of particles with spin in special relativity.

4. How do gamma matrices relate to the Lorentz group?

Gamma matrices are a set of four 4x4 matrices that are used to represent the Dirac spinor, which describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles in special relativity. Gamma matrices are closely related to the Lorentz group because they can be used to construct the vector and spinor representations of the group.

5. What are the applications of the Lorentz group and Pauli and gamma matrices in physics?

The Lorentz group and Pauli and gamma matrices are used in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and general relativity. They are important for understanding the behavior of particles with spin and for making calculations in relativistic systems. They also have applications in fields such as quantum computing and condensed matter physics.