Dirac delta function proof fourier space

In summary, the conversation is about understanding and proving the relationship between the Dirac Delta function in time domain and its Fourier transform in frequency domain. The person is asking for help in solving the problem and providing context such as independent times and frequencies. However, without proper context and clarification, it is difficult to provide a solution.
jhartc90

Homework Statement

I am having trouble understanding this:

I have a Dirac Delta function

$$ \delta (t_1-t_2) $$

but I want to prove that in the frequency domain (Fourier Space), it is:

$$\delta(\omega_1+\omega_2) $$

Would anyone have any ideas how to go about solving this problem?

I know that t1 and t2 are two independent times, and that w1 and w2 are two independent frequencies. But I do not fully understand what this question wants/is asking?

Homework Equations

[/B]
The only relevant equations I could think of may just be transforms found in a table.

The Attempt at a Solution

Hard for me to attempt when I don't really understand what the question means,

Physics news on Phys.org
The Dirac delta distribution is what it is. It is unclear what you mean by it "being" ##\delta(t_1-t_2)##, this is just insertion of some argument. A delta distribution in real space has a Fourier transform which is of the form ##e^{i\omega t_0}## and not another delta distribution.

In order for us to help you, you need to specify your problem better. In particular, you need to provide the problem itself where this appeared and keep the wording exactly as provided.

I attached the file. We are suppose to also state any assumptions we make.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 466
I believe we need more context than this. It is not clear to me how to interpret this question and for the interpretations I can think of it does not make sense.

Orodruin said:
I believe we need more context than this. It is not clear to me how to interpret this question and for the interpretations I can think of it does not make sense.
It is in time and not space. We have a 2D Fourier transform. If the function is transformed correctly twice, due to two times and two frequencies, the answer should be able to be obtained.

I think i may have figured it out, perhaps the thread should be closed?

Related to Dirac delta function proof fourier space

1. What is the Dirac delta function in Fourier space?

The Dirac delta function in Fourier space is a mathematical function that represents an idealized point source of infinite magnitude and infinitesimal width. In other words, it is a function that is zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite.

2. How is the Dirac delta function used in Fourier space?

The Dirac delta function is commonly used in Fourier analysis to represent a single impulse or spike in a signal. It allows us to break down complex signals into simpler components and analyze their frequency content.

3. What is the proof for the Dirac delta function in Fourier space?

The proof for the Dirac delta function in Fourier space involves using the definition of the Fourier transform and properties of the delta function to show that the Fourier transform of the delta function is equal to 1. This can be done using integration by parts and the sifting property of the delta function.

4. What are the properties of the Dirac delta function in Fourier space?

The Dirac delta function in Fourier space has several important properties, including the sifting property, linearity, and the convolution property. These properties allow us to manipulate the delta function in Fourier space and use it in a variety of applications.

5. What are some examples of using the Dirac delta function in Fourier space?

The Dirac delta function in Fourier space is used in a variety of fields, including signal processing, quantum mechanics, and electrical engineering. Some common examples include using the delta function to represent a single pulse in a signal, analyzing the frequency content of a musical instrument, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering.