DIN Rail Terminal Blocks: L/L, L/N, N/L and N/N?

• Thread starter Purple_Dan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blocks
In summary: Sorry, not my field of expertise either.> do you know what the NEC is?Yes, the NEC is the US National Electrical Code. It sets standards for the installation, use, and maintenance of electrical systems.
Purple_Dan
Hello,

I've recently had a slight trajectory change in my career and I'm learning the ropes in electrical panel building.
I have to order a load of DIN rail terminal blocks and I've come across a few variants and I don't know which one is the correct one for my application, or if it even matters.

I understand that the L and N stand for live and neutral, I'm not a complete rookie, but in terms of double deck DIN rail terminal blocks, what's the difference between L/L, L/N, N/L and N/N?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and sorry if a similar question has been posted before, I couldn't find any information about this anywhere!

Thanks,
Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Purple_Dan said:
Hello,

I've recently had a slight trajectory change in my career and I'm learning the ropes in electrical panel building.
I have to order a load of DIN rail terminal blocks and I've come across a few variants and I don't know which one is the correct one for my application, or if it even matters.

I understand that the L and N stand for live and neutral, I'm not a complete rookie, but in terms of double deck DIN rail terminal blocks, what's the difference between L/L, L/N, N/L and N/N?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and sorry if a similar question has been posted before, I couldn't find any information about this anywhere!

Thanks,
Dan
Are you an apprentice to an electrician now? What sources of information are you using to learn this trade? Are you in the US, and if so, do you know what the NEC is?

Also, can you provide some links to the DIN Rail modules you are asking about?

berkeman said:
Are you an apprentice to an electrician now? What sources of information are you using to learn this trade? Are you in the US, and if so, do you know what the NEC is?

Also, can you provide some links to the DIN Rail modules you are asking about?
Hello, I'm not an apprentice, I'm a qualified controls engineer and have been working with mainly software for 2 years now.
I'm familiar with the principals of electricity, but not all the tools that are used in the industry.
This is my first experience with panel building, but I've worked with electrical panels before, just checking I/O to the PLC usually though.
I'm using a mix of Google and professional advice from colleagues. However, the other 2 electrical guys that work here are usually on site somewhere, so I have limited access to their expertise.
I'm situated in the UK, our NEC is in Birmingham, I think Crufts is there soon. I expect that's not what you meant.

I was looking at the following catalogue: http://www.wago.us/media/us/collection/brochures/topjobs.pdf
If you look at any of the double/triple deck terminals (Page 37, for example), then you'll see that you can specify L/N, N/L, etc.
Just wasn't sure what that meant exactly. I would've thought that whether it was L/L, L/N or N/L would depend entirely on what's connected to it!

Thanks for your input!

Likes berkeman
I'm going to tag @anorlunda to see if he can help on this question. I looked at the catalog, and it's not obvious to me why you would use one version over the other.
Purple_Dan said:
I'm situated in the UK, our NEC is in Birmingham, I think Crufts is there soon. I expect that's not what you meant.
I was definitely asking about something else... :smile:

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4200/08a4wlo/images/stencil/1000x1000/products/13916/59655/100_1082__81086.1385146106.JPG?c=2
100_1082__81086.1385146106.JPG

Purple_Dan said:
L/L, L/N, N/L and N/N

Sorry, not my field of expertise either.

Last edited by a moderator:
> do you know what the NEC is?

In this context the NEC is the US National Electrical Code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Electrical_Code

It's the US equivalent to the UK's IET Wiring Regulations or, more formally,
BS 7671:2008+A3:2015 (17th edition with Amendment 3:2015)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_7671

You (or at least one of your 2 electrical colleagues) should be familiar with
the 17th ed. The IET has a list of recognised training providers at:
http://electrical.theiet.org/training/index.cfm

I attended a 3 day wiring regs course some time ago. It was rather a whirlwind
tour but it did provide a useful introduction to a large and complex standard.

> If you look at any of the double/triple deck terminals (Page 37, for example), then you'll see that you can specify L/N, N/L, etc. Just wasn't sure what that meant exactly. I would've thought that whether it was L/L, L/N or N/L would depend entirely on what's connected to it!

L=Live, N=Neutral, PE=Protective Earth, of course.

The terminals in the catalogue are colour-coded: L=grey, N=blue, PE=green/yellow.

The idea is that you, as the designer, choose the colour of terminal to suit the
use of the conductors running through the terminal. This let's installation and
maintenance staff know what type of conductors they are dealing with and makes it
easier to find their way round a huge number of terminals side by side.

I expect the N/L and L/N terminals have the upper contacts in one colour and the
lower contacts in the other colour. I can't see from the catalogue which is which
but as a customer you could ring the helpline and ask. You ought to choose one or
the other of N/L or L/N and use that option for all your panels to avoid confusing
installation and maintenance staff. (If your company already has a standard choice
obviously you should stick with it.)

Although this again is not my field, good practice suggests that you should use the
double terminals for the two sides of a single (1 phase) circuit, i.e. use one
double terminal to carry the L & N for a single load circuit; don't mix and match
random L and N wires from different circuits on the same double terminal.

I found an introductory video at:

(For US readers, in the UK 'NEC' refers to our National Exhibition Centre, a large
exhibition and conference venue in Birmingham: http://www.thenec.co.uk/ )

Likes rbelli1 and anorlunda
GrahamN-UK said:
I expect the N/L and L/N terminals have the upper contacts in one colour and the
lower contacts in the other colour.

Yes. I had found a picture that shows this and thought I posted it but it seems to be gone. One or more of the wire openings have a painted color around them. You can just barely see this in the catalog.

BoB

GrahamN-UK said:
> The terminals in the catalogue are colour-coded: L=grey, N=blue, PE=green/yellow.

The idea is that you, as the designer, choose the colour of terminal to suit the
use of the conductors running through the terminal. This let's installation and
maintenance staff know what type of conductors they are dealing with and makes it
easier to find their way round a huge number of terminals side by side.

lower contacts in the other colour. I can't see from the catalogue which is which
but as a customer you could ring the helpline and ask. You ought to choose one or
the other of N/L or L/N and use that option for all your panels to avoid confusing
installation and maintenance staff. (If your company already has a standard choice
obviously you should stick with it.)

rbelli1 said:
Yes. I had found a picture that shows this and thought I posted it but it seems to be gone. One or more of the wire openings have a painted color around them. You can just barely see this in the catalog.

BoB

Cool, thanks guys.
Sorry for the late reply, I've been quite busy on other projects.
But good eye, didn't spot that!

Related to DIN Rail Terminal Blocks: L/L, L/N, N/L and N/N?

What are DIN Rail Terminal Blocks?

DIN Rail Terminal Blocks are devices used in electrical installations to connect and secure multiple wires or cables to a common connection point. They are mounted on a DIN rail, which is a standard type of metal rail used in industrial and commercial applications.

What is the difference between L/L, L/N, N/L, and N/N in DIN Rail Terminal Blocks?

The letters L and N refer to the line and neutral wires, respectively, in an electrical circuit. In DIN Rail Terminal Blocks, L/L means that the line wires are connected together, while L/N means that the line and neutral wires are connected. N/L means that the neutral wire is connected to the line wire, and N/N means that the neutral wires are connected together.

How are DIN Rail Terminal Blocks used in electrical installations?

DIN Rail Terminal Blocks are used to simplify the wiring process and make it more organized. They allow for multiple wires to be connected to a single point, making it easier to troubleshoot and maintain the electrical system. They are commonly used in industrial control panels, motor control centers, and building automation systems.

What are the benefits of using DIN Rail Terminal Blocks?

One of the main benefits of DIN Rail Terminal Blocks is their versatility. They can accommodate a wide range of wire sizes and types, making them suitable for various applications. They also provide a secure and reliable connection, reducing the risk of loose or faulty connections. Additionally, they are compact and easy to install, saving time and space in electrical installations.

Are there any safety considerations when using DIN Rail Terminal Blocks?

It is important to make sure that the correct wire sizes are used with DIN Rail Terminal Blocks to avoid overloading and potential hazards. It is also essential to follow proper installation procedures and ensure that all connections are secure. Regular maintenance and inspections should also be conducted to ensure the safety and efficiency of the electrical system.