Total charge density of all electrons in the closed subshell n=3, l=2

In summary, the conversation is about finding the total charge density produced by all electrons in a closed subshell where n = 3 and l = 2. The formula for the charge density is -e|R_{32}(r)Y_{2,m}(\theta , \phi)|^{2}, and the sum is over all electrons. The discussion also includes a question about whether the equation changes when the quantum numbers change.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey guys,

So the title pretty much says it. I have to find the total charge density produced by all the electrons in a closed subshell where n = 3 and l = 2. The charge density produced by a single electron is [itex](-e)|R_{32}(r)Y_{2,m}(\theta , \phi)|^{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

So he gave an example in lectures, but that was for something that had n=2, l=1 subshell. This is what I've got written down:

[itex]|P_{21}|^{2}=2(-e)\sum_{m=-1}^{+1}|Y_{lm}|^{2}=2(-e)|R_{21}|^{2}\frac{3}{4\pi}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure that equation above is right for my situation...does it change when the quantum numbers change? of course the sum will now range from m = -2 -> +2 but is that all that changes? I can't even find any material on this, in my book or elsewhere...

thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
The charge distribution is just [tex] \rho = -e \sum |\Psi_{nlm}|^2 [/tex] where the sum is over all the electrons you're interested in. In this case, they are the electrons with n=3, l=2 so you should sum is over m and ms, for all values possible for this shell.

Related to Total charge density of all electrons in the closed subshell n=3, l=2

What is the total charge density of all electrons in the closed subshell n=3, l=2?

The total charge density of all electrons in the closed subshell n=3, l=2 is determined by the number of electrons in the subshell, which is equal to 10. This means that the total charge density is 10 times the charge of a single electron, which is 1.6 x 10^-19 coulombs.

How is the total charge density of all electrons in the closed subshell n=3, l=2 calculated?

The total charge density is calculated by multiplying the number of electrons in the subshell by the charge of a single electron. In this case, the formula would be 10 x 1.6 x 10^-19 coulombs, resulting in a total charge density of 1.6 x 10^-18 coulombs.

What role does the subshell n=3, l=2 play in determining the total charge density?

The subshell n=3, l=2 is responsible for determining the number of electrons in the subshell. This number, in turn, determines the total charge density when multiplied by the charge of a single electron.

How does the total charge density of all electrons change when the subshell n=3, l=2 is no longer closed?

If the subshell n=3, l=2 is no longer closed, meaning it has less than 10 electrons, the total charge density will decrease accordingly. For example, if the subshell only has 8 electrons, the total charge density would be 8 x 1.6 x 10^-19 coulombs, resulting in a total charge density of 1.28 x 10^-18 coulombs.

How does the total charge density of all electrons in the closed subshell n=3, l=2 compare to other subshells?

The total charge density of all electrons in a closed subshell is dependent on the number of electrons in that subshell. Therefore, the total charge density of all electrons in the closed subshell n=3, l=2 will be different from other subshells, such as n=2, l=1 or n=4, l=3. It is important to consider the specific subshell when calculating total charge density.