Dimensional analysis to estimate gas clounds collapse

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of dimensional analysis to estimate the time it takes for a cloud with a density of p=Mo pc^-3 to collapse due to gravitational collapse. The formula for density is P= ML-3, gravity is g= M-1 L3 T-2, and momentum is po= MLT-1. By using dimensional analysis, the signs in the equations can be cancelled out to leave only the unit of time. However, it is unclear how to find the time without knowing the values for mass, length, and momentum.
leonne

Homework Statement

stars form by gravitational collapse of interstellar gas clouds. use dimensional analysis to estimate how long it takes for a cloud with a density p=Mo pc^-3 to collapse

Mo= 1.9898e33 g

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just have no idea how to use dimensional analysis, and how I would use it to solve the problem. My book has nothing about it. So if someone can explain to me how I use dimensional analysis step by step solve this problem.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey
after reading I have better idea on what to do. Here is what i got.

PgML/po I have to try to get the signs to cancle out and just to be left with time right?

so P= ML-3 for density g= M-1 L3 T-2 for gravity. po = MLT-1 for momentum so all of the cancel and you are left with time. Is that the right formula? Hmmm but how am i suppose to find how long it will take without the mass length or momentum? or did i do something wrong?

Related to Dimensional analysis to estimate gas clounds collapse

What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical tool used to determine the relationships between physical quantities in a system. It involves examining the units of measurement for each quantity and using them to derive equations and relationships.

How does dimensional analysis help estimate gas cloud collapse?

Dimensional analysis is used in astrophysics to estimate the collapse of gas clouds into stars. By analyzing the dimensions of physical quantities involved, such as mass, pressure, and temperature, scientists can predict the conditions under which the cloud will collapse and form a star.

What are the limitations of using dimensional analysis to estimate gas cloud collapse?

Dimensional analysis is a useful tool, but it has limitations. It assumes that all physical quantities are consistent and can be accurately measured. However, in reality, there can be variations and uncertainties in the values of these quantities, which can affect the accuracy of the estimation.

How is dimensional analysis applied in astrophysics?

In astrophysics, dimensional analysis is applied in various ways. It can be used to determine the stability of a star, the distance between stars, and the properties of galaxies. It is also used to study the evolution of the universe and the formation of celestial bodies.

Can dimensional analysis be used in other areas of science?

Yes, dimensional analysis has applications in various fields of science, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is a fundamental mathematical tool that can be used to solve problems and make predictions in diverse areas of research and industry.