Solving the Einstein Gravity Tensor for the Newton Potential

In summary, the homework statement states that the Lagrangian density for the ##h=h^{00}## term of the Einstein gravity tensor can be simplified to:- the density is -frac{1}{2}h\Box h + (M_p)^ah^2\Box h - (M_p)^b h T- the equations of motion are given by- h is approximately -frac{M_p^b m}{4 \pi r}- to get Newtonian potential, one must first find M_p^b=4\pi G
Malamala

Homework Statement

The Lagrangian density for the ##h=h^{00}## term of the Einstein gravity tensor can be simplified to: $$L=-\frac{1}{2}h\Box h + (M_p)^ah^2\Box h - (M_p)^b h T$$ The equations of motion following from this Lagrangian looks roughly like (I didn't calculate this, they are given in the problem): $$\Box h = (M_p)^{a}\Box(h^2)-(M_p)^bT$$ For a point source ##T=m\delta^3(x)##, solve the equation for h to first order in the source T, with ##M_p=\frac{1}{\sqrt{G_N}}##. This result should reproduce the Newtonian potential.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So to first order, we can drop the ##h^2## term and we are left with $$\Box h = -(M_p)^bT $$ $$h = \frac{1}{\Box} (-(M_p)^bT)=-(M_p)^b\frac{1}{\Box} (T)$$ where ##\frac{1}{\Box}## is the propagator (Green function) associated with the field. Based on some calculations and properties of the Green function I got $$h=-\frac{M_p^b m }{4 \pi r}$$ I am pretty confident of my calculations so far. Now, to actually get Newton potential I need ##M_p^b=4\pi G##. It is not mentioned, but I assume ##G_N=4\pi G## so the only thing I have to show is that ##b=-2## to reproduce the classical result. I just don't get that value... I tried to do a dimensional analysis of the Lagrangian, and I have ##[L]=4##, ##[\Box] = 2## so ##[h]=1##. As T is the stress energy tensor ##[T]=4## and ##[M_p]=1## so we are left with ##b=-1## I just don't know where I am missing a factor of 2. Also, assuming my calculations above were wrong, the whole time ##(M_p)^b## was just a constant so that should be the same, regardless of the rest of the solution. So I guess I am doing something wrong with the dimensional analysis. Can someone help me please? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that ##h_{\mu\nu}## is the weak field correction to the Minkowski metric, it is dimensionless. The Einstein-Hilbert action is not always written on dimensionless form, but the appropriate factors of ##M_P## are then included as an overall factor when icluding matter fields.

Related to Solving the Einstein Gravity Tensor for the Newton Potential

What is the Einstein Gravity Tensor?

The Einstein Gravity Tensor is a mathematical representation of the curvature of spacetime in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It describes how mass and energy affect the geometry of the universe.

What is the Newton Potential?

The Newton Potential is a concept in classical mechanics that describes the potential energy of a point mass in a gravitational field. It is related to the gravitational force and is used to calculate the trajectory of objects under the influence of gravity.

Why is it important to solve the Einstein Gravity Tensor for the Newton Potential?

Solving the Einstein Gravity Tensor for the Newton Potential allows us to understand how gravity works on a larger scale, such as in the universe. It also helps us to bridge the gap between Einstein's theory of general relativity and Newton's theory of gravity.

What are the challenges in solving the Einstein Gravity Tensor for the Newton Potential?

One of the main challenges is the complexity of the equations involved. The Einstein field equations are highly nonlinear and require advanced mathematical techniques to solve. Another challenge is the lack of experimental data to verify the solutions, as most of the phenomena predicted by the equations occur on a large scale.

What are the potential applications of solving the Einstein Gravity Tensor for the Newton Potential?

Understanding the behavior of gravity on a large scale can have many practical applications, such as predicting the motion of celestial bodies, improving our understanding of the structure and evolution of the universe, and possibly even finding new ways to manipulate gravity for space travel or other purposes.