Quantum physics time evolution of an overlap

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the Hamiltonian is conserved and the answer is in terms of the uncertainty of H. The participant suggests using the conservation of uncertainty and the Schrödinger equation to see how time affects the wave function, but encounters difficulties. Another participant suggests including a second term and making use of the uncertainty formula for energy. This helps the original participant to understand how to proceed.
Monci

Homework Statement

[/B]
I'm trying to solve the following problem. (a) was easy but I am stuck at (b).
Quantum.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
Since we are told that the Hamiltonian is conserved, and the answer is in terms of the uncertainty of H, I assume I have to use the conservation of uncertainty. Maybe I could use the Schrödinger equation to see how time affects the wave function.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the Schrödinger equation I have $$\psi (t) = \psi (0) + \frac{1}{i\hbar}H\psi(0)t + O(t^2)$$
However I don't find this particularly useful since I can't get from here to the uncertainty of H easily. I have tried the case with just two states but didn't accomplish anything. Dimensional analysis suggests something like $$ 1 - \frac{\Delta H^2}{\hbar^2}dt^2 + O(t^3) $$
I have no idea how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
You also need the 2nd order term
$$
-\frac{H^2t^2}{\hbar}\psi(0)
$$
May be the problem asks you to make use of the uncertainty formula for energy ##\Delta H^2 = \langle H^2\rangle - \langle H\rangle ^2##.

Likes Monci
blue_leaf77 said:
You also need the 2nd order term
$$
-\frac{H^2t^2}{\hbar}\psi(0)
$$
May be the problem asks you to make use of the uncertainty formula for energy ##\Delta H^2 = \langle H^2\rangle - \langle H\rangle ^2##.
Thank you. Once I added the second term it was very clear how I should proceed.

Related to Quantum physics time evolution of an overlap

What is quantum physics time evolution?

Quantum physics time evolution is the study of how quantum systems change over time. It involves understanding how particles and waves behave and interact with each other in the quantum realm.

What does the term "overlap" refer to in quantum physics time evolution?

In quantum physics, overlap refers to the amount of similarity or correlation between two quantum states. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior and evolution of quantum systems.

How does time evolution occur in the quantum realm?

In the quantum realm, time evolution is described by the Schrödinger equation. This equation describes how the quantum state of a system changes over time, and is influenced by various factors such as energy, forces, and interactions with other particles.

What is the significance of studying time evolution in quantum physics?

Studying time evolution in quantum physics helps us understand the behavior of particles and waves at a fundamental level. It also has practical applications, such as in quantum computing and quantum communication, where controlling and manipulating the evolution of quantum states is essential.

What are some real-world examples of time evolution in quantum systems?

One example of time evolution in quantum systems is the decay of radioactive atoms. This process can be described by the Schrödinger equation and helps us predict the rate at which a radioactive substance will decay. Another example is the behavior of electrons in an atom, which can be described by quantum mechanics and leads to the formation of atomic energy levels.