Dilution of a Solution Strengths

• MHB
  • Thread starter frgeorgeh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dilution
In summary: I think I got it now.If you have a solution with a strength of $18$, to get a solution of volume $V$ with a strength of $18k$, where:0\le k\le1You would need to use kV of the solution of strength $18$, with the rest consisting of the strength $0$ solution.
frgeorgeh
I want to mix 4 strengths of solutions. I thought to save time I would mix 1 a 0mg strength and a second at 18mg strength. How do I use those two solutions to make a 6mg, 12 mg strength solution?

The ratio of (OV)*(OS)=(NV)*(NS) where OV=Old Volume, OS=Old Strength,, NV=New Volume, NS=New Strength, does not work since I know all the results. For example, if I wanted to make the following:

I have: 1 gal (3,785ml) of 0mg and 1gal of 18mg

I want to make: 30ml bottles at 6mg and 12mg.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
frgeorgeh said:
I want to mix 4 strengths of solutions. I thought to save time I would mix 1 a 0mg strength and a second at 18mg strength. How do I use those two solutions to make a 6mg, 12 mg strength solution?

The ratio of (OV)*(OS)=(NV)*(NS) where OV=Old Volume, OS=Old Strength,, NV=New Volume, NS=New Strength, does not work since I know all the results. For example, if I wanted to make the following:

I have: 1 gal (3,785ml) of 0mg and 1gal of 18mg

I want to make: 30ml bottles at 6mg and 12mg.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

OK, I think I am over thinking this. It seems to me, to get a 6mg strength, I add 2/3 of the 0MG and 1/3 of the 18mg. To get 12mg, I add 1/3 0mg and 2/3 of 18mg. What do u think?

I am assuming the solution strengths are in milligrams per milliliters. So, if you have a solution with a strength of $18$, to get a solution of volume $V$ with a strength of $18k$, where:

\(\displaystyle 0\le k\le1\)

You would need to use \(\displaystyle kV\) of the solution of strength $18$, with the rest consisting of the strength $0$ solution.

For example, since 12 is 2/3 of 18, then you would put 2/3 of 30 mL which is 20 mL with 10 mL of strength 0 to get 30 mL of strength 12.

So yes, your reasoning is correct. :D

MarkFL said:
I am assuming the solution strengths are in milligrams per milliliters. So, if you have a solution with a strength of $18$, to get a solution of volume $V$ with a strength of $18k$, where:

Thanks for the reply! I am an Engineer but always seem to over complicate my math.

for your question! Dilution of solutions is a common practice in the scientific world, and it can be a bit tricky to understand at first. However, with some basic knowledge of chemistry and math, you can easily calculate the volumes needed to create your desired solution strengths.

First, let's define some terms for clarity:

- Old Solution: This refers to the 0mg and 18mg solutions that you have on hand.
- New Solution: This refers to the 6mg and 12mg solutions that you want to create.
- Volume (V): This is the amount of solution you have or want to create, measured in liters (L) or milliliters (mL).
- Strength (S): This is the concentration of the solution, typically measured in milligrams per milliliter (mg/mL).

Now, to calculate the volumes needed for your desired solutions, we can use the following formula:

(V1)(S1) = (V2)(S2)

Where:

- V1 = Volume of the old solution (in mL)
- S1 = Strength of the old solution (in mg/mL)
- V2 = Volume of the new solution (in mL)
- S2 = Strength of the new solution (in mg/mL)

So, let's plug in the values from your example:

For the 6mg solution:

(3785 mL)(0 mg/mL) = (V2)(6 mg/mL)

V2 = (3785 mL)(0 mg/mL) / (6 mg/mL)

V2 = 0 mL

This means that in order to create a 6mg solution, you will need to mix 0 mL of the 0mg solution with 3785 mL of the 18mg solution.

For the 12mg solution:

(3785 mL)(0 mg/mL) = (V2)(12 mg/mL)

V2 = (3785 mL)(0 mg/mL) / (12 mg/mL)

V2 = 0 mL

Similarly, you will need to mix 0 mL of the 0mg solution with 3785 mL of the 18mg solution to create a 12mg solution.

I understand that this may seem counterintuitive, as you may expect to use some of the 0mg solution to create the 6mg and 12mg solutions. However, since the 0mg solution has no strength, it essentially has no effect on the overall strength of the solution

Related to Dilution of a Solution Strengths

1. What is dilution of a solution?

Dilution of a solution refers to the process of reducing the concentration of a solute in a solution by adding more solvent. This results in a decrease in the strength or potency of the solution.

2. Why is dilution of a solution important in scientific experiments?

Dilution of a solution is important in scientific experiments because it allows for more accurate and precise measurements. It also helps to control the concentration of a solution, which is necessary for certain reactions and analyses.

3. How is dilution of a solution calculated?

Dilution of a solution is calculated using the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 and V1 represent the initial concentration and volume of the solution, and C2 and V2 represent the final concentration and volume after dilution.

4. Can dilution of a solution affect the chemical properties of the solute?

Yes, dilution of a solution can affect the chemical properties of the solute. As the concentration of the solute decreases, its reactivity and ability to undergo certain reactions may also change.

5. What are some common methods used for dilution of a solution?

Some common methods for dilution of a solution include serial dilution, where a concentrated solution is repeatedly diluted to obtain a desired concentration, and volumetric dilution, where a specific volume of a concentrated solution is added to a specific volume of solvent to achieve the desired concentration.