A Simple Salt Solution Mixing Problem - yet stuck

In summary, the problem is to determine how many liters of 20% salt solution should be mixed with 2 liters of 15% salt solution in a vessel with a capacity of 5 liters in order to produce a solution with the highest possible salt concentration. The solution involves creating a function for salt concentration in the new solution and taking its derivative to find points of extremum. However, since the function does not have a local maximum, the solution is to add as much 20% solution as possible or to use only 20% solution. This problem is not expected to involve concepts of mass, volume, or density and may not require optimization techniques.
Rokas_P
Hi, here is a very simple solution mixing problem that I can't solve which I am really ashamed of.

Problem. A vessel whose capacity is 5 liters contains 2 liters of 15% salt solution. How many liters of 20% salt solution have to be mixed to the 15% solution to produce a solution with as high salt concentration as possible?

My solution. I constructed this function for salt concentration in the new solution:

[tex]f(x)=\frac{0.3+0.2x}{2+x}[/tex]

(The amount of salt in the first solution is 2*0.15 = 0.3)

I obtained the derivative of the above function:

[tex]f'(x)=\frac{0.2(2+x)-(0.3+0.2x)}{\left(2+x\right)^2}=\frac{0.4+0.2x-0.3-0.2x}{\left(2+x\right)^2}=\frac{0.1}{\left(2+x\right)^2}[/tex]

I'm stuck at this point. If I try to find points of extremum, there are none. It means that I cannot increase salt concentration in the original solution by adding the said 20% salt solution. But I know the answer is 3 liters, so I must be doing something wrong.

--

As a sidenote, this problem is taken from a national maths exam. As such, you are not expected to think of mass, volume and density of water and salt. Also, I didn't make use of the fact that the vessel can contain up to 5 liters of liquid but just don't see where it fits in. Finally, I am not sure if this problem is even supposed to be solved using optimization techniques (derivatives and minima/maxima) but that was the first idea I got ...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, 2 + x must be less than or equal to 5 liters, since that is the maximum capacity of the vessel.

Rokas_P said:
Also, I didn't make use of the fact that the vessel can contain up to 5 liters of liquid but just don't see where it fits in.

And that was your mistake...

Think about it - the more 20% solution you add, the closer to 20% is the concentration of the salt in the mixture. So you have to add as much as possible. How much can you add?

Alternatively, the answer is to toss out the 15% solution. Just use the full 20% salt solution.

Thanks everyone for the explanations.

The problem here was that I expected the function to have a local maximum and when the derivative showed me it had none, I thought I must have done something wrong but now I realize that there is no reason for the function to have a maximum.

We can consider this problem solved.

Related to A Simple Salt Solution Mixing Problem - yet stuck

1. What is the problem in "A Simple Salt Solution Mixing Problem - yet stuck"?

The problem is about finding the concentration of salt in a solution after it has been mixed with another solution with a known concentration.

2. How is the concentration of salt typically measured in a solution?

The concentration of salt is usually measured in moles per liter (mol/L) or molarity (M).

3. What information is needed to solve this problem?

To solve this problem, you will need the initial concentration of the first solution, the volume of the first solution, the initial concentration of the second solution, and the volume of the second solution.

4. What is the formula for calculating the final concentration of the salt solution?

The formula for calculating the final concentration of the salt solution is: C1V1 + C2V2 = C3V3, where C1 and V1 are the initial concentration and volume of the first solution, C2 and V2 are the initial concentration and volume of the second solution, and C3 and V3 are the final concentration and volume of the mixed solution.

5. Are there any potential sources of error in solving this problem?

Yes, there are a few potential sources of error, such as inaccurate measurements of volume or concentration, incomplete mixing of the solutions, or changes in temperature that may affect the solubility of the salt. It is important to be careful and precise in your measurements to minimize these errors.