Digital counter small question

In summary, the 4 JK counter can be used to create a cascade or chain of counters. However, it is difficult to use 8 inputs so a chip like the 74LS192 or the 4510 is needed.
KAS90
hi there...
I wanted to ask about a way to cascade or let's say connect two sets of 4-bit flipflop JK counters together..
I want to create a circuit that is an up-down counter from 0 to 99..but as it is known, its difficult to use 8 inputs ofcourse.. so the best way is to have two sets of 4 jk flipflops..the first set will be connected to a 7seg and will count up and down, while the other one will not count up or down unless the first one has finished 10 counts..I hope u get what I mean..
the problem is that I didnt know how to connect the first circuit with the other one, in order for the first one to trigger the second one..do u guys have any idea how can I apply this? thanks a looot in advance :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
The output of the 4th JK counter (X3 in the diagram below) falls when it clocks over from 9 to 0.
You can use this falling pulse to clock the next set of flip flops. You could invert it if the counter needed a rising edge.

You would wire the 1st 4 JKs as a BCD counter so that it divided by 10 but gave outputs from each stage as powers of 2.
So the 1st stage would give a 0 or a 1 and this would be worth 0 or 1.
But if the next stage gives a 1 it is worth 2. The next stage's 1 is worth 4 and the last one is worth 8.

So, 1 0 0 1 is worth 9.
Note the values from 10 to 15 cannot occur as this is a BCD counter.

deccount.gif

This would only count up as shown.

However, to do what you want, you could just get a 74LS192 chip or the 4510 which can count up or down, and already give BCD out.

If counting down wasn't important, you could get a 4518 which already has two BCD counters in the one chip, or the 40110 which already has 7 segment drivers in the counter chip. These only count up though.

Attachments

• deccount.gif
    deccount.gif
    14.3 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
You can easily design any such counter using the K-mapping tutorial given in the instruction section of this site.

KM

Thanx guys that was a lot of help :) I really appreciate it..
but now I am having a problem connecting the two IC's.. I hope I figure it out..

1. What is a digital counter?

A digital counter is an electronic device that counts and displays the number of times a specific event or action has occurred. It is commonly used in many applications, such as in electronic timers, odometers, and digital clocks.

2. How does a digital counter work?

A digital counter works by using a series of electronic components, such as flip-flops and logic gates, to count and store pulses of electricity. These pulses are then converted into numerical values and displayed on a digital screen.

3. What are the advantages of using a digital counter?

One of the main advantages of using a digital counter is its accuracy. It can count and display large numbers without any errors, unlike mechanical counters which may have limitations. Additionally, digital counters are more versatile and can be easily programmed for different counting tasks.

4. What are the common uses of a digital counter?

A digital counter has a wide range of uses in various industries. It is commonly used in manufacturing and production processes to track the number of items produced. It is also used in scientific experiments to measure and record data, as well as in sports to keep track of scores and time.

5. Can a digital counter be reset?

Yes, most digital counters have a reset function that allows the count to be cleared and start over from zero. This is useful for repetitive counting tasks or when the counter needs to be reset for a new counting session.