Can I find a BCD counter IC with separate up and down counting clock signals?

• Thread starter vrajasekaran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counter
In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a BCD up and down counter circuit for a mini project. The individual is looking for an IC 74LS192 to use, but is having trouble finding one. Suggestions are given for alternate ICs such as 74C192, 40192, 74HC192, and 40110, which can perform up and down counting with separate clock signals. It is also suggested to consider using a microcontroller for this function.
vrajasekaran
hi,

I wish to design BCD up and down counter circuit for my mini project. I planned to use IC 74LS192. Unfortunately i can't able to get this IC. There is any BCD counter ICs are available with separate up and down counting clock signals. Because i got some ICs for up and down counting which uses only one clock pulse. but i need an IC with two separate clock signals for up and down counting.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The 74LS192 is still current and readily available.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/5x-74LS192-Sync-Up-Down-Decade-Counter-Dual-Clock-Lines-/110565951651?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19be3e88a3
Depends on where you are though.

There are variations on the 192 such as the 74C192, 40192, 74HC192.

If your suppliers have limited stocks, maybe you could find out which counters they have and research those ones.

Another chip that does up-down counting is the 40110.
This does not do BCD counting. It has direct drive for a 7 segment display, so it is easier to use if you want this type of display.
Here is a description of this IC:
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/cd40110b.html
and here is a datasheet for it.:
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/schs100/schs100.pdf

hi vk6kro,

Thanks for your quick reply vk6kro. I will collect the details about the ICs which you have mentioned...:)

vrajasekaran,

I don't know what type of project you are doing, but if Up/Down counting is merely a function of the larger project, you may want to consider a uController. A $3 uController and a bit of code can do amazing things. Popular choices include the AVR family and the PIC family.

Fish

Related to Can I find a BCD counter IC with separate up and down counting clock signals?

1. What is a BCD up and down counter?

A BCD (Binary Coded Decimal) up and down counter is a digital electronic device that counts in either the up or down direction by a fixed amount. It can count in binary coded decimal format, which uses four bits to represent each decimal digit (0-9). This type of counter is commonly used in electronic devices such as calculators, clocks, and digital counters.

2. How does a BCD up and down counter work?

A BCD up and down counter consists of a series of flip-flops, which are electronic circuits that can store one bit of information. Each flip-flop represents one digit in the BCD format. The counter counts in binary, so the first flip-flop counts in binary from 0-1, the second from 0-3, the third from 0-7, and the fourth from 0-9. When the count reaches 9, it resets back to 0 and the next digit increments by 1, and so on.

3. What is the difference between an up counter and a down counter?

An up counter counts in the positive direction (0, 1, 2, 3, etc.), while a down counter counts in the negative direction (9, 8, 7, 6, etc.). A BCD up and down counter can count in both directions depending on the input signals it receives.

4. What are the applications of a BCD up and down counter?

BCD up and down counters are commonly used in electronic devices that require precise counting, such as digital clocks, frequency counters, and industrial control systems. They are also used in combination with other electronic components to perform mathematical operations, such as addition and subtraction.

5. How do I design a BCD up and down counter circuit?

Designing a BCD up and down counter circuit involves selecting the appropriate flip-flops, connecting them in the correct order, and providing appropriate clock signals and input signals. It is recommended to consult a digital electronics textbook or an online tutorial for step-by-step instructions on designing a BCD up and down counter circuit.