Difficult Integration - Apostol Section 6.25 #40

In summary, the integral \int\frac{\sqrt{2-x-x^2}}{x^2}dx can be solved using integration by parts after multiplying the numerator and denominator by \sqrt{2-x-x^2}. This method simplifies the integral and makes it easier to solve.
process91

Homework Statement

[itex]\int\frac{\sqrt{2-x-x^2}}{x^2}dx[/itex]

Hint: multiply the numerator and denominator by [itex]\sqrt{2-x-x^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

This is in the Integration using Partial Fractions section, but the last few have not been using Partial Fractions.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, initially I thought that I would just complete the square on the top and then use a substitution such as [itex]x+\frac{1}{2} = \frac{3}{2}\sin u[/itex], but that became pretty complex. Then I took the author's suggestion and multiplied the numerator and denominator by [itex]\sqrt{2-x-x^2}[/itex]. I split the resulting integral into three, two of which were easy and the first which is still very difficult:

[itex]\int \frac{2}{x^2 \sqrt{2-x-x^2}} dx[/itex]

The substitution I mentioned earlier still looks most promising, but leads to this:

[itex]\frac{9}{4} \int \frac{\cos^2 u}{(\frac{3}{2}\sin u + \frac{1}{2})^2} du[/itex]

This looks like it needs something like [itex]z=\tan \frac{u}{2}[/itex], but that also becomes extremely tortuous. It leads to a degree 6 polynomial on the bottom, and a degree 4 polynomial on the top which can then be solved with partial fractions, but the resulting equations are quite cumbersome.

Any other suggestions/hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try integration by parts:

[itex]9\int \frac{\cos^2 u}{(3\sin u + 1)^2} du=\int (\frac{3\cos u}{(3\sin u+1)^2}) (3 \cos u) du[/itex]

ehild

That does look much better, thanks!

Related to Difficult Integration - Apostol Section 6.25 #40

1. What is the purpose of Section 6.25 in Apostol's Difficult Integration?

Section 6.25 is focused on developing techniques for integrating functions that cannot be easily evaluated using traditional methods, such as elementary functions or substitution.

2. What is the significance of problem #40 in Section 6.25?

Problem #40 in Section 6.25 is considered one of the most challenging integration exercises in the entire textbook, as it requires the use of multiple advanced integration techniques and algebraic manipulations.

3. How do I approach solving problem #40 in Section 6.25?

To solve problem #40, it is important to first identify the key techniques needed, including partial fraction decomposition, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. Then, carefully apply those techniques step by step to simplify the integral and reach a solution.

4. Are there any tips for tackling difficult integration problems like #40 in Section 6.25?

Some tips for solving difficult integration problems include breaking down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts, using substitution to simplify the integrand, and using known identities and techniques to manipulate the integral into a more solvable form.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the integration techniques covered in Section 6.25?

Yes, the integration techniques taught in Section 6.25 have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. These techniques are often used to solve complex problems and model real-world phenomena.